Chapter 21: Rout Even

“Miss Benjamin…”

Oh, I love this.

Look at her face. Her eyes are sparkling; her mouth is slight open, waiting and anticipating my words. And from the ten inches of distance, I can hear the melody her prompt, beating heart drums.

 She really missed me!

And she looked stupid and pathetic… just like I know I looked like when I told her what I felt for her.

“Yea?” she leaned a bit closer to me, her eyes darting at my lips.

This is going to be so much fun…

“Call me,” she swallowed before continuing, clearly nervous and anxious, “Riley, please.”

“Right.” My cheeks practically throbbed due to so much smirking. “Riley?”

“Y-yeah?”

“Um, you have a mayo stain there,” I pointed to her upper lip.

She grew self-conscious and immediately begun to clean her face. “Done?”

“No,” I chuckled at how naïve she was. There was no freaking mayonnaise in her hamburger, let alone the stain! “Let me help you.”

With all the purpose of the world, I used my thumb to clean the ‘stain’. While my thumb stroked her soft lip, she heaved in a nervous breath. Forcing myself to not snicker at her tenderness, I smirked at her and reclined back. Eating my burger, I flashed a smile at her pathetic self.

 She was shocked; her eyes didn’t blink; her breathing got stuck someway down her throat and by the way she clutched her stomach, I could sense that there was some kind of commotion down there.

“Hey,” I snapped my fingers at her face. “It’s gonna get cold. So eat.”

“Y-y-yes, Mr. Lukewood.”

Oh, the irony of the formality of my name!

Now grinning and standing in front of my penthouse’s skyline window panels, I replayed that scene over and over again in my head. The sun was hiding behind buildings, its auburn rays were the only evidence left of its existence. I pocketed my hands inside my grey dress pants’ pockets and grinned at the beautiful scene.

“What a day!”

Maybe Dad was right, it’s better if she’s near me. In fact, I’m having lots of fun with her. Shaking my head with a smirk, I gazed at the jewel’s advertising banner in front of me. It reminded me of the lovely discovery I made earlier. I couldn’t believe she wore the bracelet and ring I gave her. Don’t know why but I expected that she’d throw it away.

The sound of the buzzing doorbell woke me up from my thoughts. I left the beautiful midtown window view—my luxurious penthouse offered—and pressed the speaker of the doorbell.

“Yeah?” I hollered as I kept my finger pressed on the button.

“Hello, we are the crew from ‘How Celebrities Live’. It’s a TV show. We had a meeting set at this hour to record Mr. Lukewood’s life as a young business man. Is he home?” a delicate voice chirped.

Laughing, I replied, “Lora, is that you?”

“Yeah! Andy? I thought it was another person! How are you?” she replied.

“I forgot it was today, but come in, anyways,” after answering, I made my way to the doorway and opened the door. “Lora?”

After I hollered, she turned around and flew a yearning smile at me. “Hey, Andy! Wow, you look as good as you appear in the magazines.”