Well...Not Anymore: Chapter 16

--I know you hate me because it's been a month since I've uploaded, but this is a super long chapter so I hope that makes up for it :)

Vote/comment please!! I'll love you forever!!

oOoOo

I go back to work before I go back to school. The school gives a student an automatic two week absence to any student who has lost a parent, and even though I think I'm in a somewhat normal mental state a week after my father's death, I really don't feel up to facing everyone at the school quite yet. But I am willing to face Zara who, Lucas told me two days ago after his first shift since my dad's death, is extremely worried and wants to see me in person to make sure that I'm alright. 

And because of this and the fact that she's been a parent to me when neither of my biological ones wanted to step up to the plate, I was willing to climb out of bed three hours before what I've been pulling lately, put on some clothes that couldn't be worn to a gym or a pajama party, and run a brush through my hair. All for Zara. 

That bitch better be grateful. 

But I'm really just kidding. I'm actually looking forward to seeing someone who I can confide in other than Lucas, although the blonde looker has been more than enough for me this past week. He's been there for me every moment that he's physically able, even pulling a few strings by letting the office let him keep his phone on in case there's an emergency. I really have no idea how he managed to pull that off, but I have a gut feeling that he sweet-talked the elderly secretary who's always had a thing for him. 

Speaking of which, as soon as that handsome-looking devil is done ordering our two large sodas from the Sonic Drive-In, he rolls up the window his jeep and then looks over at me. For the millionth time, he explains, "Nay, if you need to leave work just let me know, okay? Don't worry about upsetting Zara..." 

I roll my eyes at him just like I have every other time he brings something like this up. I tell him calmly, "Lucas, I'm going to be fine, okay? I've already had my days to cry, any water in my body is long gone by now. Don't worry." 

He says, "But you can still be hurting without crying. I just don't want to make you uncomfortable." 

In an effort to get him to stop treating me like such an emotional basket case, I say playfully, "Has anyone ever told you that you worry too much? Chill, man. It's not that hard." 

Immediately catching on to my first good mood in a really long time, he says in a facedly exasperated tone, "Well sorry for caring about my best friend!" 

Ignoring the little pang of hurt I feel at the title, I just roll my eyes at him again and then go to look out of the window. I don't really know how Lucas and Destiny have been doing lately, seeing as I don't see them walking down the hallways since I haven't gone back to school yet, but I do know that they've been talking on the phone a lot lately. And when they do, they do so privately. The past three nights when the two of us have been doing something, his phone has started to ring and when he sees that it's her, he'll tell me that he'll be right back and then disappear for up to an hour. It's really starting to piss me off.  

Obviously something's up if he can't talk to her in front of me. It's not like he hasn't done it before. Sure it hurts to hear him say such kind and romantic things to someone that's not me, but I just ignore it. I finally have him back in my life and I'm not going to give him up just because I'm falling back in love with him. I'm not going to make the same mistake as I did two years ago. This time, I'm just going to keep my love a secret and try to get over him. 

It's beyond apparent that the two of them are slowly starting to talk through things after their fight on Tuesday night, and that they're soon going to be back into that perfect lovey-dovey couple. I'm just waiting for the night that she appears on his door step and kisses him right in front of me or something. He hasn't gone to her house, so I know that they haven't hung out outside of school yet, but I know that that time is coming. And I'm just trying to brace myself for it.