Chapter Fifteen: What If?

A/N: In case you hadn't guessed already, welcome to the 'what if' chapter.

Sorry about such a long break between updates, hopefully the fact that this chapter is more than 3 ties the length of any other chapters makes up for that! Seriously I got way too carried away (20k words of carried away... !).

I hope you like it, please leave your comments, I love love LOVE reading them :)

~ ~ ~

Chapter Fifteen: What If?

It felt like a long time since Derek had been back home, in all reality it had only been a few months. Not that it stopped his sisters from planning a party for his homecoming, even if it was just because it was the best excuse they could find.

He smiled as he thought about how much he'd missed them, looking out the window as he made his way onto the road that led into town.

NOW ENTERING BEACON HILLS

*

It had been a horrible day.

Erica walked slowly down the road that she always walked down after school, scuffing her feet and trying not to sob as the tears welled in the corners of her eyes.

She'd woken up feeling like it would be a better day than yesterday, but every time she tried to convince herself of that something always happened to make her feel worse.

Today it was Marcus Bryant, one of the basketball kids who seemed to think that because he could dunk a basket he was invincible. Not that anyone really was.

He sat behind her in history class and thought it would be hilarious to wait for her to slide into her seat before slipping a juice pouch under her. By the time she realised, the juice had soaked into her jeans and was making splashing sounds on the floor all the while Marcus was telling the rest of the class that 'Erica just pissed herself again'.

The teacher didn't help, how could she? The damage was already done and she didn't know that they'd set her up.

She ushered her out of her chair while the rest of the kids laughed, spare a few looks of pity from about the place.

It didn't sound like much, but it was just one more moment of ceaseless harassment that she was sick of, more than that, she was sick of being helpless and a target for guys like Marcus.

She let the tears fall with a messy sob and shook her head, looking up and across the road and had a thought as she read the words on the sign.

BEACON HILLS PRESERVE: NO ENTRY AFTER DARK

*

"I'm telling you Scott, it's our year," Stiles said as they walked to his jeep after having practiced their lacrosse skills on the empty field. "We're seniors, we're on the team―"

"We're second string Stiles," Scott said.

"We're on the team," Stiles repeated. "We are two eligible bachelors―"

"Oh yeah, the girls are lining up for our numbers," Scott said and Stiles just stopped to give him a look and shake his head.

"I'm trying to paint a picture here, what are you doing?"

"Sorry, sorry," Scott said, looking over at Allison as she laughed with Lydia by Jackson's car.

"You know, pining over Allison isn't going to get you on a date," Stiles said and Scott rolled his eyes.