Grasp

"Do you want this bikini back?" Kayla asks me as we pack for our trip into Wisconsin this weekend. She's borrowing most of my clothes, as usual. 

I laugh. "No. Keep it, it's fine. But I want those clothes back on Sunday".

Kayla throws it into her suitcase as a knock on the front door comes from downstairs. "Oh, Patrick. Hi Jonathan", I hear Mom squeal when she opens the door. "They're in CJ's room. You can go up if you would like".

Thirty second later, my bedroom door swings open and the two men walk in. "Hello ladies", Patrick says to us. 

"Hey, boys", Kayla and I say at the same time. We look at each other and giggle quietly. We do that way too often.

Patrick walks past me and over to Kayla. He wraps his arms around her waist to pull her into a kiss. I turn away so I don't have to watch it, and Jonathan sits down next to my suitcase. "Hey", I say. I lean down and quickly kiss his lips. 

"Hello there", he replies. "You guys almost ready to go? We have a three hour drive ahead of us, and we want to make it before dark".

I turn to Kayla and Patrick, who are still kissing. "Hey", I clap my hands, almost looking like I'm trying to get a dog's attention. Their lips touch one last time, then they move away. "Earth to Kayla and Patrick. Are you two ready yet?"

"Hold on", Kayla says to me. She leaves one last kiss on Patrick's cheek and walks into my bathroom. I close up my suitcase, and throw on my 'Hawks Trainer's sweatshirt. Kayla comes out with a bottle of my hairspray. She puts it into her suitcase, then shuts it. "Ready".

"I can take this for you", Jonathan tells me, picking up my small, teal and tan suitcase. Patrick grabs Kayla's suitcase from off my bed. Kayla and I each pick up our purses, I grab a book, and we all head down the stairs.

"Stop".

The four of us freeze before the front door. At the same time, we all turn to see my father sitting in the exact same spot, reading the same book, or close to it, looking at us the exact same way as what he did the other night on my date with Jonathan. 

"Where do you think you're going?"

The four of us look at each other, then back at my father. "We're leaving for Andrew's lake cabin for the weekend", Patrick says. 

"CJ?" He looks directly at me. "You're going?"

"Yes, I am", I say with an innocent smile. "Kayla and I were asked to go with Jonathan and Patrick. We'll be back on Sunday morning".

"Okay", he looks back down at his book. "Have fun".

Kayla quickly runs out the front door, Patrick and Jonathan right behind her. I wave goodbye to Mom, who stands in the kitchen, looking at us, and I follow them to Jonathan's car. 

Kayla and Patrick each choose to sit in the back seats together, leaving me the passenger seat next to Jonathan. The guys put our suitcases into the trunk, and it slams shut, shaking the car. Jonathan slides into his drivers seat and starts the car. We all buckle into our seats.

"Get comfortable guys, this is going to be a long drive", Jonathan says, looking at me, then into the rear view mirror to Kayla and Patrick. 

I slide my boots off of my feet and tuck my legs under me, leaning against the center console in between Jonathan and I. "CJ, you're in charge of the jams", Kayla yells through the car. We all laugh. 

Jonathan pulls out of the driveway and turns a few streets, then merges onto the highway. 

"Chelsea, Chelsea, I believe when you're dancing, slowing sucking on your sleeve", Kayla and I sing, yelling, echoing through the car. "The boys get lonely after you leave".

"We could be screamin' till the sun comes out, and when we wake we'd be the only sound".

"Baby you light up my world like nobody else. The way you flip your hair gets me overwhelmed. But, when you smile at the ground, it ain't hard to tell, you don't know, oh, oh, you don't know you're beautiful".

Kayla and I continue to sing at the top of our lungs in the compact area of Jonathan's car. The guys laugh, and I'm sure the video Patrick took will end up online somewhere. 

"Hello, Wisconsin!" Kayla and I yell as we cross the border and pass the sign. We fall backwards onto our seats, laughing hysterically. 

After some time, the car goes quiet, and I open my book. The music station plays hit music from now, and some from the early 2000's. I hum along while reading my book, Until We Meet Again. It's a little young for my age, since it's a teen book, but the romance is unforgettable. I personally think it's a better romance than The Notebook and Me Before You. 

I suddenly hear a faint sound coming from the back seat, it sounds like growling. Jonathan and I look at each other, then I turn around to see Patrick passed out, his head leaning against the window behind me. On the other side of him, behind Jonathan, Kayla's head is against the back of her seat, her mouth open slightly, her breathing deep.

Jonathan and I both let out laughs, and I take my phone out to take pictures of them, mostly Patrick, to get back at him for posting my singing video online. I turn back to my book and continue to read. My hand lays limply over the front of the center console, and my arm touches Jonathan's. His fingers lightly move over the back of my hand, then to my palm. It tickles while I can see him smirk out of the corner of my eye. I can't help but blush crimson.

Our hands clasp together, and neither of us want to let go.