Chapter 5

Jep awoke just before dawn. The fire was dead and he felt the dampness from the ground seeping into his joints. He sat up and looked around in confusion— Derrick was gone. Jumping up, he quickly checked his pack, relaxing slightly when he saw that the box with the key was still safe, and then he began a brief exploration of the area. Dolly's reluctant tracks led toward the forest and Jep followed cautiously.

Under the umbrella of the huge trees, the light was dim and eerily pale. An opaque mist rose up from the thick vegetation covering the forest floor. Jep paused, turning slowly and straining to hear any sound of life. Just as he stepped forward once more, Derrick's voice whispered in his ear.

"Good morning, Master Waterford. Sleep well?" Jep jerked so suddenly with surprise, he felt his neck crack and he staggered back cursing. "Tch, tch, such language from a gentleman."

"You scared the life out of me, you idiot. What's going on? Why did you leave me back there?"

Derrick took his arm and steered him to the edge of the tree line, pointing at a faraway hill. "That sliver of smoke is from a campfire. I'm familiar with most of the denizens of this area and none build a fire that large in the dawn hours. Whoever it is, is a stranger to these parts and strangers are to be treated with suspicion. I was just moving Dolly away from the river into the shade. She tends to start braying when the sun rises."

Jep looked at his new friend and grimaced. "It could be soldiers from Graf following me."

"Following Master Waterford, or perhaps someone of another name?"

"Let's just say, Waterford for now." Jep smiled weakly. "I must find my way to Dyst as soon as possible. Will you help me?"

Derrick scratched his bearded chin, watching the wispy smoke climb high into the morning sky. "Derrick Kriss does not like having any truck with soldiers and Dyst is opposite to where I'm headed."

Jep nodded. "I understand, but could you at least give me good direction so that I may get there quickly."

"Not so fast, Master Waterford. I didn't say no, I was just expressing my concerns. This has all the earmarks of a good adventure and it's been some time since I've enjoyed some excitement. Of course, my decision would be much easier if I new why you think you're being followed."

Jep stared at the innocent expression, his thoughts tumbling through his mind. Trust no one, his father had warned, yet he knew that at some point that's exactly what he would have to do. His problem was deciding if this was that point.

"Decision time, Jep," Derrick said, indicating with a tilt of his head the hill where the smoke had been. "Our friends are on the move."

*****

Hella returned to her chamber from the guardhouse, seething with fury. Not only had the stubborn woman not answered her questions, she'd actually defied her. It would be her last act, Hella gloated, if Consiflore's men could get nothing from her by this evening, she would be dragged from her cell and hurled from the castle tower into the courtyard. It never hurt to set examples to her subjects.

It would be necessary to keep King Hugh busy elsewhere in the castle. She seated herself on the lounge and snapped open her fan, waving it angrily and then shouted loudly for her maid. The large studded door swung inward and a slight, pretty girl bowed her way in, hands clasped subserviently in front.

"Come closer you silly girl." Hella snapped. "I want you to find my husband's valet and send him to me at once."

"Yes, M'lady." The maid left swiftly and gladly.

Hurrying through the great hall, past the heavily draped windows that overlooked the main courtyard, Mary took little notice of the huge, ugly portraits adorning the walls, or the elegant but dusty furniture that lined her avenue of approach to the wing of the castle where King Hugh liked to stay.