Chapter 7

The riders clattered up the main street sending the pedestrians scurrying to safety in alleys and doorways. Stopping in front of the council building, Gar dismounted and tossed his reins to his subordinate, beckoning two of his men to follow him. Inside, Lyman and his master waited uncomfortably behind the counter.

"Ah, welcome strangers. What service may I be to you today?" The councilman eased himself onto his stool and placed both hands on the counter.

Gar looked around in disgust at the dusty, filthy surroundings. He hated being in Dyst. He hated the memories connected to the grotty town. He drew a finger across the counter, leaving a pale trail in the accumulated grime. "Where are the two who came through here earlier this morning?"

The councilman looked around at his aide. "Was there someone else in here today, Lyman?"

"No sir, nobody. I was on duty all morning since the cock crowed." The dwarf hooked his thumbs in his belt and nodded his affirmation.

"A young man and another, with a pack mule and wagon." Gar squared himself to the counter.

"A mule! Well that would have been a welcome visit," the councilman beamed. "You would see us enjoying a hearty meal at this moment if that had occurred."

Lyman joined his master's laughter, smacking his lips and patting his bulbous stomach. "Roast mule... that surely would have been welcome."

Gar moved so quickly the councilman fell off his stool, catching only a glimpse of Lyman as he sailed over the counter in the soldier's grip.

"We're going to search this hole of a town, and if we find you've lied, I'll have you roasted and served to the rest of the rabble before I burn this whole stinking place to the ground." He shoved Lyman hard over the counter and onto the floor and waved his men outside. "Split up and look in every hovel and I don't care what that entails, just be thorough. I'll meet you at the edge of town."

"War mongering pigs!" The councilman sputtered, helping his aide up from the floor after they'd gone.

*****

The small boy stood stock still watching Jep. A dingy looking dog gnawed at the end of a stick in the lad's hand. Jep bent forward and tried again. "I seek a woman named Prize. Do you know where she lives?" He fumbled in his pack, withdrew a small slice of dry chicken from his food ration, and held it out to the boy. "Do you like chicken? It's yours if you take me to the house of the woman, Prize."

Quick as lightening, the boy snatched the chicken from Jep's hand and he and the dog sped up the street and around a corner. Jep shouted his surprise and took off after the pair, almost stumbling and falling over them as he rounded the corner. The boy stood pointing to a wretched looking structure with clumps of sod on the roof and tattered rags hanging limply in the only window. With the chicken clenched in his tiny fist, he looked at Jep with a daring uncertainty.

"Is that her place?" The boy nodded and ducked away when Jep reached out to ruffle his hair and scrambled over a dirt pile with his dog in hot pursuit.

Jep hesitated then stuck his face into the door opening, calling for the woman. The small space reeked of incense and candle smoke and he stepped back outside, coughing.

"Who wishes to see Prize?" The voice crackled like dry parchment from within the tiny shack.

"My name is Jep and I seek information about the maiden Gwendolise. Gwendolise Bogendancer. I have heard that she was once in this village."

The face that appeared from the shack seemed hewn from the very rocks that surrounded the village. Hair sprang from beneath a knitted cap in an explosion of grubby curls. A nose, hooked almost into the upper lip, grew from between a pair of surprisingly bright, green eyes that raked Jep from head to foot in examination.

"You wish to find the sister of your Queen, eh."

Jep showed his surprise. "How do you know that? How do you know who my Queen is?"

Prize tried a grin, but her nose made it look more like a grimace. "How and what I know may well be a mystery to your grave, young master. Just believe that I know much about you already."

"But how—never mind. Can you help me with my quest?" Jep cast about for any sign of the men following him.

"You have time still, Master Jep," she cackled, noting his concern and further surprise. "And yes, I can and will help, but it will cost. And there will be no negotiation."

Jep gaped and shook his head in awe at the woman's perception. "I have little mon—"

"Money has no value to me. What I demand for my service is to see the Key."

He felt his knees begin to buckle and he lowered himself unsteadily to the road, clutching his pack tightly. "How- how could you..."

Prize waved an impatient hand. "Those who follow are close behind. If you want an answer, show me the key." Her eyes glittered in spite of the dull, grey air.

Shaken but determined, Jep removed the box from his pack and with a tight grip; he opened the lid, letting her peer inside. Prize sighed with a pleasure long missing from her life. Her fingers wavered toward the box but stopped as Jep pulled it back.

"You said see, not touch." He closed the lid. "Now my answer, madam."

Prize licked her lip and sagged back. Tension seemed to release her body and her features became smooth. "It is more than I imagined," she murmured. Jep waited patiently, replacing the box in his pack. "The young maiden was here some time ago. She found me, as you did, and I answered her questions as well."

"Please, I'm in a hurry, as you obviously know."

"She was hunting for a family named Teacher and I told her they were somewhere between here and the Wye Valley." Prize looked off into the distance, her mind elsewhere.

Jep knew the Teachers were the other family that fled Balfour at the time of Aaron. But he wondered why Gwendolise would be hunting for them. Was it possible she was on the same quest as he? He touched the old woman's shoulder and regained her attention. "How long ago was she here?"

"Four years." Jep's shoulders sagged in disappointment. "Do not distress, young master, she has not yet reached the valley nor has she found them. She is currently in the town of Nygard."

Nygard! Derrick had mentioned Nygard. Somewhere beyond the Great Plain. "How can you know this— never mind, how do I get to this Nygard?"

"You must cross the Great Plain, and for that journey there are some things you must know. Jep listened in fascination as Prize described the obstacles he might meet and provided him with some items to smooth his passage. She gave him final directions and waved him on his way, wishing him a safe, successful journey.

Crawling back inside her shack, she rummaged in a small bag in the corner. The warmth of the tiny object in her hand calmed her mind and when she opened her fingers, it glowed a beautiful blue. She shut her fist and murmured a short prayer then replaced her treasure and readied herself for the next guest.