Chapter Sixteen

A/N: Merry Christmas my lovelies, hope you all have a wonderful day and a safe holiday. Thanks for being such perfect fans so this is my gift, a Christmas chapter. It involves reindeer ears, Secret Santa and of course, smut to come in the next one :) The next chapter should be all christmas smut, Scisaac and then Sterek. :)

                                                           ~ ~ ~

Stiles was right, they didn’t talk any more about it after that, and it didn’t matter. Derek was acting somewhat warmer, he smiled a little more, even if it was only fleeting. It helped that the new pack hadn’t posed a threat, though he kept his eyes open and still refused to trust them. He had many arguments with Jackson about what to do with them; one of the twins had sparked a relationship with Danny and Jackson wanted to make sure he wasn’t being used as a pawn in some kind of game.

Otherwise the rest of them mostly kept to themselves. Derek only had fleeting moments talking to Katherine, the other alpha, mainly about Peter because he was the only one that Derek’s words had no effect on. Daisy, the younger blonde, stayed about as far from their radar as she could, and no one had any arguments for that.

When it came down to it, they were all just happy that there was no killing or maiming, other than the regular human kind. It even gave them enough time to enjoy a quiet Thanksgiving. Scott and Melissa were headed out of town, a long drive out to Phoenix Arizona to spend their time with Melissa’s mother and sister and her three kids. Scott had joked about how the only thing worse than dealing with his cousins was having to listen to his mother complaining about his aunt all the way back to California.

Stiles and his father were out on a fishing trip at one of the Sheriff’s favourite spots, he had even roped Derek into coming which Stiles had been stoked about until his father made Derek sleep alone in his own tent and Stiles was stuck with his father. Not to mention the way the Sheriff and Derek liked to team up against Stiles because both of them had almost identical views on what was best for him. Most of the trip was them giving Stiles dirty looks out on the lake because the sound of his yammering mouth kept scaring all the fish away. In the end, as much as he complained and whined and pouted, he wouldn’t have changed a thing because he even thought he saw Derek smile once or twice.

Erica’s extended family all flocked to Beacon Hills for the occasion, one of the few times a year her mother looks up from her writing and sombre glass of wine so she soaked it in for all it was worth.

Boyd and his family did something similar, his older sister was away at college and so they set up a webcam link for their dinner. They all managed a laugh at the way his grandfather kept looking at the screen with her face on, like he didn’t trust it one bit.

Lydia and her parents spent a quiet night in, a decadent feast laid out on their table. They all had busy schedules but this was a special occasion so they at least made the effort to sit down together and eat. Though she wished she was anywhere else, ‘quiet night in’ meant that her parents were either ignoring one another or arguing. They met up at all of Lydia’s special events and the way they tolerated one another so very barely had Lydia with no doubts about how much they cared for her, but she just wished they could alternate or do lunch and then dinner so she didn’t have to deal with it.

Allison and Chris headed out of town, staying at a nice hotel in the city because this was the first year they would be spending as just the two of them and somehow take-out Chinese in a hotel room was as far from their Thanksgiving traditions as possible and that was exactly how they wanted it.

With Derek away with Stiles and his father and Scott with his family, Isaac was left virtually alone for the holiday. It’s not like he had celebrated Thanksgiving a lot with his father but this year he was all alone. That is until Jackson invited him to his parents’ party, they hold one every year and his reason for doing so was that there were always too many leftovers and he was sick of his mother complaining about it. The fact that he had mumbled it and avoided eye contact when he invited him just made Isaac start believing that he might actually have had a heart after all. There weren’t that many people, it was quite an intimate gathering really but Danny was there with his family so Isaac seemed to stick to him for the night. He was just happy not to be sitting in Derek’s cold and sterile loft for the holidays.