Chapter 8 | Cole

When Mycah dropped me off at school this morning, I decided to go to the library. There was a secluded table that hid at the back of the library that I often sat at to catch up on some sleep. Usually, there was only one librarian on at a time, which made it easier for me not to get caught. They never bothered to leave front desk anyways.

I later walked into Mr. Sullow's math class not caring that I was roughly twenty minutes late.

"Mr. Tucker, where have you been?" Mr. Sullow asked me.

I didn't answer him. Obviously, I was in a mood. I slammed my stuff down on a vacant desk loudly. Some of the students flinched at the loud noise it created.

"You are late, you're supposed to apologize for that. Where is your respect?" He was on the verge of yelling.

"I left it at home. Could you be a little quieter," I said sarcastically and sat down. My ears were sensitive from the drinking last night.

"You know I don't fool around. " That was true. Mr. Sullow wasn't like Mrs. Valeria, he wasn't afraid to dish out punishments. "You have detention at lunch. Come get your slip."

But I made no move towards the red detention slip.

"Now!" Mr. Sullow was getting red in the face.

He hated me.  All because he caught me fighting with Roman, and when he tried to pull me away from Roman, I accidently elbowed him in the nose and shouted at him to get the fuck out of my way.

Now, he constantly found little things to try and get me in trouble with. I'd be rich if a had a dollar for every time he gave me a detention. Although, today, I knew I probably deserved a detention due to being rude. 'A delight to teach' or something along the lines of that, definitely wasn't something that appeared on my report cards.

I kept my cold gaze on the teacher, not breaking eye contact as I made my way to collect the red slip.  This honestly didn't bother me. I had been to detention multiple times; nothing new. I snatched the detention slip out of his hands, trying not to snarl at him.

At the end of the of the school day, I begrudgingly headed over to the detention room, which also happened to be held in the same room as my English class.

It'd been a while since the last time I had detention. There was only two other people in the room, an emo girl and a guy name Travis (I don't know how I know his name). The teacher, thankfully, was a nice older lady who was usually filled in as a substitute teacher. She told us that we could do any work that we needed to catch up on.

I plugged my headphones into my phone  and started blasting my music, loud enough that everyone else in the room could probably hear it too. A few songs later and I heard the teacher welcoming another student to detention like it was some cheerful place to be. She didn't even care that the student happened to be ten minutes late.

It was Mycah's brother.

I paused my music but didn't take my headphones out.

"And what are you here for?" The teacher asked him.

"I-I didn't finish my homework," he stammered Myles.

Detention for not finishing homework? Harsh.

"Ah, I see. You're new right?"

"Yeah."

"Okay. Well, just take a seat anywhere." Said the teacher.

Myles silently made his way to the back of the room, sitting at a desk in the far left corner. I also happened to be situated at the back but on the right side. Every couple of minutes I found myself sneaking glances over at him, I couldn't help it. His head was resting on the desk, facing away from me each time I looked at him. He hadn't seemed to have moved an inch, which confirmed my suspicions of him probably being asleep. Cute.