Chapter 17

THE SIREN OF THE POLICE CAR AND the ambulance rang simultaneously and it was almost deafening. Scarlett's bedroom, the crime scene was closed for investigation. After awhile, Esther's lifeless body was brought out of the room in a body bag. Scarlett was still grasping on to Jack's collar and was shouting at him.

"I didn't do anything to her," Jack defended. He looked terrified.

"No, you killed her, you bastard. You are the one who murdered her," Scarlett shrieked as she violently shook him.

"I d-didn't. You have no proof to accuse me," Jack said, as he tried to pull Scarlett away from him.

"You used to hurt her. Now, you killed her," Scarlett began to cry. Jack looked at me helplessly. I turned my gaze away. Tears welled up in my eyes. With great difficulty, two officers pulled her away from Jack.

"Officer. Listen to me. That man. H-He killed Esther. He killed my b-best friend," Scarlett pleaded as she pointed a finger accusingly at Jack. The officers exchanged amused glances at each other before staring suspiciously at Jack.

"No. I have nothing to do in this. I am innocent," Jack said sounding helpless and very young.

"Calm down, kid. We will find out the murderer of your best friend. Just leave it to us," One of the officer assured her. Scarlett, reluctantly but slowly nodded in agreement. She clasped her hand over her mouth before breaking into loud choking sobs. I left Ezra's hand on which I was holding on to until then, to console my sister.

"And you. I don't want you to leave the house until you are told to," I heard the officer sternly ordering Jack. Jack muttered a curse under his breath before slumping on the sofa.

"Scar. Calm down," I said weakly as I pulled her close to me.

"How can I, Allie? I warned her about that man and she wouldn't listen to me. If only I had come earlier, then he wouldn't have -" She sobbed severely.

"T-Then he wouldn't have killed her," She cried. I pulled her more closer to me. Personally, I didn't think it was Jack who was guilty for the murder. It couldn't be the ghost. Why did it want to kill poor Esther? It targeted Becky and me. Then who was it?

"Last night, she went on repeatedly saying that she had a feeling that she was going to die. I asked her to shut up and-" Scarlett's words dissolved into her uncontrollable sobbing.

"Miss James?" An officer called. Scarlett and I looked up questioningly at him. He looked bewildered for a second before he spoke.

"Are you sisters?" He enquired and I hummed an yes. "Well, Officer Owen wants to talk to you."

Officer Owen, a tall, lanky man in his early thirties had rather calm solemn features and was questioning Jack when we approached him. Officer Owen was seated on a chair with one leg above the other and with his jaw supported by one of his abnormally large hands. Despite my resistance, Scarlett barged into their conversation and continued to scream at Jack. Officer Owen watched the heated exchanged, looking strangely interested.

"Mr Fenton. You can go home, if you want," Officer Owen suggested calmly, stifling a yawn. Scarlett let out a string of expletives.

"Why are you letting him go home? He killed my best friend. He is a murderer. You have to arrest him now. You can't let him go. You can't," Scarlett kept on shrieking. I pulled her back with all my strength as she was preparing to lunge at Jack. With careful and fast steps, Jack exited out if the room. Sipping on his coffee, Owen took in the bizarre scene with no hint of surprise on his face.