Chapter 43

April's POV

Even Gaspard's culinary skills wasn't able to put a smile on my face; Aiden's sudden mood change had made me want to slap his pretty little face, but also twisted a small knife of rejection in my stomach.

"April? You there?" Cole whistled, waving his hand in front of my face.

"Yes, sorry. Just a little distracted," I laughed weakly, smiling apologetically at Gaspard.

"Comment pouvez-vous être si rude? C'est pâtisserie à son meilleur !" He scolded. Cole shot me a sympathetic look and shooed me out from the kitchen.

"What's up? Gaspard was making croquembouche for us." Cole frowned at me.

"Sorry," I shrugged. "I'm just a little distracted. I appreciate everything Gaspard showed me, I really did, but I just need some air." I pretending to wipe a bead of sweat from my brow. He agreed with me and assessed me a little too closely.

"Is it Aiden?" He asked suddenly.

"N-no," I stuttered, snapping my gaze away from him quickly.

"Come on," he pressed, his voice dripping with incredulity. "You can't lie about this April – it's too obvious when it involves mates." He said softly, leaning back against the spiralling staircase banister. I looked up in surprise, my heart lurching when I found Cole's mate, Nadia, standing next to him, nodding with him.

"H-how?" I spluttered, staring at her in obvious shock.

"Werewolves move quietly," she shrugged, her husky voice not matching her bright eyes and soft features. I pushed my glasses up my nose.

"So, is it Aiden?" Nadia pressed, her head resting on Cole's shoulder. My stomach jumped and I suddenly wished I was able to do that with Aiden. No April!

"Maybe. Actually, no. " I lied.

Cole sighed, "We aren't going to bite you April – we mean no harm."

I tired relaxing and forced a smile. "Sorry, it's just new places make me uneasy," I gestured to the hallway with the shining stars on the sky, so similar to the stars me and Aiden sat under after the Halloween party.

"Look, sometimes... boys, need a little bit of a push to realize when they're in the wrong. They're a bit stupid at times," Nadia whispered, leaning forward and winking pointedly. He scowled lightly at her statement and poked her in her waist, making her giggle. "Aiden just needs you to give him one punch to set him straight; his mood changes faster than a girl PMSing." Nadia said. Me and Cole raised our eyebrows, nodding in agreement at her statement.

Making up my mind, I thanked them and excused myself, before having to backtrack again to ask where they thought Aiden would be. I was pointed back in the direction of his room and I sighed unhappily – I thought I'd never have to step foot in that damn corridor again. Obviously not.

I reached the dark corridor, the smell of cigarette smoke and something else mingled in the air. I coughed and scrunched up my nose, edging my way into the corridor, pausing to let my eyes adjust to the gloom.

Now I actually needed to talk to Aiden. Don't chicken out April – talk to him you fool. You're being more cowardly than the cowardly lion. Not pausing to think, I pounded on his door with my fist, narrowing my eyes until I could only see a single, thin line of vision from them. A shuffle sounded from the door and then it creaked open, revealing Aiden, wearing a pair of boxer shorts and nothing else.

"What?" He grumbled.

I snapped back to reality and glared back at him. "What?" I repeated. "What do you think? You couldn't have been ruder before," I snapped, prodding him with my finger so that he moved back slightly. "You have no right to talk to me like that, Who the hell do you think you are? A god? Because you damn well aren't, so stop thinking you have the authority to treat people like the dirt under your shoes." I hadn't realized that I'd pushed Aiden back deeper into his room and that I'd unwittingly entered with him.