Chapter 23

The people streamed in the tiny apartment with bullet jackets and guns in there hands searching for a Lady and a girl.

"Clear", the scouts shouted and with slow determined steps the group of officers navigated  the apartment locating safely the little girl and the lady along with an unconscious man.

When Manik had received the call from Soha he had immediately picked it up. But instead of hearing Soha he heard through all the things that occurred there. He called  the NYPD and at once the call was traced and personnel were sent off for rescuing the two victims.

The rest was a complete blur. People shouting, screaming, angry grunts, sorry tears, flashing lights, commanding voices all at once......

*************   ****************

Manik impatiently paced outside the emergency door with an equally tensed Nandini. The one time he laid his eyes on her she was lying on the stretcher like a pale shadow and the sight gripped his heart and crunched it with intense pain. He wasn't aware of this extreme feeling but all he wanted now was to see his girl with her eyes open and safe from all dangers.

A nurse emerged and informed that they can go inside now. Manik rushed through his way opening the door harshly. Mannat lied on the bed with her eyes staring at him. The moment his eyes connected with those little pair of brown deep striking eyes the world collapsed on him. A throbbing ache ripped his whole soul apart.

Manik clutched his head and with shaky legs he kneeled on the ground holding the gaze of his daughter.

Him holding her in his tiny arms wrapped in white sheets, Soha, his career in music deemed, the forceful, marriage the  fights, their drifting further apart, his meet with Nandini ,the first time he fell for her, their ardent passionate lovemaking, knowing Mannat not his own, the divorce,  the separation, the joy of having his own little part growing in the woman he loved, his son's birth...... And series and series of events came flashing across his memory lane as the flood gate opened pouring every restrained memory out.

It felt like hours before he could finally move taking in everything as they rushed through him, his  gaze fixed back on his lifeline, his real reason for getting Nandini and in turn Ish. His daughter,his pumpkin. It barely mattered that she wasn't his blood, but she is his daughter. No one in this world can change it. And once again she brought them back to him.

Manik reached to her side engulfing Mannat in his arms. She instantly wrapped her arms around her father as she curled herself to rest herself in the protective arms of her father.

"Hey pumpkin", he softly kissed her forehead.
He could feel her little trembles as she cried in his arms.

"Shuu baby your safe now. Daddy is here. Nothing will happen now. The bad guys will never get to you again, I promise". He confirmed.

Mannat sniffed before lifting her head to meet her daddy's eyes.

"The bad guy said he was my Daddy and he said get back mommy too.", she asked looking at Manik.

Manik wanted to deny it all at once but he didn't want his relation with his daughter based on lies.
But nor did he know how to present the facts to this little pure soul. He is supposed to take away her pains protect her.

"No pumpkin he was ly.....", Manik was interrupted by Nandini.

She placed her hands on his shoulder and squeezed. She motioned him to meet her outside.

"I'll be back", he whispered to manni before heading out.

"You are okay now? " Nandini asked once they were out.

"Yes I am okay, love", Manik replied.

"You recovered your memories back?", she asked him shocked as he called her love.

"I guess. I am remembering every details except for the blast. Those parts are little hazy and foggy. But Nandu I am okay. Why did you bring me out.", asked Manik as he carcass her cheeks.

And here he was back. Calm composed worried about his family and not him. The business tycoon, the family man the loving husband and responsible father.

Mr Malhotra is back.

"You can't lie to her", she told Manik.
"Then what am I supposed to do. Tell her that yes Harshad was your dad and he discarded her. Now when he is dying he wants her back. Nandini, she is still a child.  I am supposed to protect her keep her safe from all this.", manik retorted.

"Yes you are supposed to protect to her.  But you cannot keep her from the truth in the dark. She is little I know but still she deserves to learn about this. You are to stay by her when she faces the reality not keep her hiding behind your back. You can't do that forever. Tell the truth in a way so that she can grasp the things without really getting hurt." Nandini reasoned him.
And even though Manik didn't want this to do but he was left with no choice.

"Okay", he replied.

Nandini took his face in her palms and pressed her lips to her. Manik returned her favour in full vigour leaving both of them breathless.

"I love you so very much Nandini", he whispered pecking her lips for the last time.

She so wanted to hear those words from his mouth. "Love you too Manik", she smiled finally pulling away.

Manik gave her a last smile as he entered the room to answer the question of his pumpkin.

Vote comment and keep reading. Only one chappy left. Thank you for your constant support guys.