Dumbydoor

Dumbydoor

Dear Messers Moony, Padfoot, and Prongs,
I'M TURNING FIFTEEN THIS MONTH, FINALLY!! I miss you guys loads and more than anything else for my birthday I want to get away from this house for a time. Can we PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE have a camping trip, the four of us, for my birthday? PLEASE? I want so much to see you all again. It's been too bloody long!!!! I seriously don't want anything else for my whole birthday except a campfire with you three idiots sitting about it with me.
Hope your summer's been good. Mine's been absolutely boring. I miss Hogwarts!
Padfoot, I reckon you know where Moony and I don't so if you could pass this along to him that would be most appreciated.
Sincerely,
Peter / Wormtail.

James stared at the letter, at Wormtail's messy scrawling handwriting and he smiled. He did miss Peter, who he had only seen the one time - at Maryrose's birthday party - all summer. He wondered if Peter would be angry when he heard about James and Sirius's adventure, stealing the motorbike and flying off to Hogsmeade to attack Albus Dumbledore as they'd done... Their summer had been anything but boring! And he was certain Sirius would have some grand stories to tell when he returned from Newt Scamander's briefcase laboratory. After all, they were going to go to Egypt, Newt had said! James was jealous.

He laid on the floor and wrote Peter back, telling him that Moony and Padfoot were otherwise occupied at the time being and that he was accepting the offer on at least Padfoot's behalf (he didn't know if Remus would be allowed to leave the briefcase for a weekend camping trip with his mates but he knew Sirius would be all over it).

We've had a rather eventful summer. But then again, when you're around Padfoot it's rather impossible to have a calm one, isn't it? James wrote. We'll tell you all about it when we're sitting 'round that campfire you mentioned!

The letter from Peter wasn't the only thing that Bubo had delivered to James, and so he pushed Peter's note aside and grabbed the next thing - an envelope (quite a thick one, too) with Lily Evans handwriting on it. Made out to Sirius. James frowned and stared at the way her letters looped and twisted about all girly-like and he put the envelope aside, though he stole glances at it, even as he grabbed the next item from his stack -- The Daily Prophet.

It was 3 August and the very next day would be the elections for the new Minister for Magic and everyday the polls were changing whether it would be Tutman or Minchum and James felt quite stressed every time he thought about it. He couldn't understand how anybody could think that Tutman would be a good idea for Minister - everyone he had spoken to was for Minchum, but then again everyone he'd spoken to was either his parents or else in the Resistance with them.

There was a very big meeting of some sort going on, right then, even as James was sitting on the couch and opening up his mail. Everyone in the Resistance (with the exception, most notably, of Albus Dumbledore) had come to the Potters and he'd been kicked out of the kitchen, where they were meeting. Dora had cast some spell that kept him from being able to listen through the door, too, and James had gone into the living room, quite frustrated, and told to baby-sit Ted and Andromeda Tonk's toddler, Nymphadora, who barely could talk, made no sense what so ever with what she could say, and changed her hair colour constantly from hot bubblegum pink to shimmering gold to neon lime green...

"Look," she said, grabbing at the knee of James's jeans, "Look." She scrunched up her face and her hair turned orange as a pumpkin and she laughed and clapped her hands.

"Yeah, brilliant," James said, who'd made a big deal of it a couple times just to entertain her, but was bored of it now. After all, he was quite used to girls who could scrunch up their noses and change their hair colours now, thanks to Maryrose and her teal mane.