Chapter 45: A Big Surprise

*WARNING: Contains 'Captain America: Civil War' Spoilers!

We stood opposite each other, ready to fight. Wanda faced Vision, Falcon faced Rhodey, Hawkeye faced Nat, Bucky faced Black Panther, I faced Spider-Man, Scott stood back ready to shrink, and Steve faced Stark. We started walking, slowly at first. Then we sped up into a gentle jog. Before long we were all running, straight into each other.

I threw some electricity at Spider-Man, which he jumped to avoid. I ran towards him but he was out of my grasp before I could reach him, being hit by the cars that Wanda threw his way. I turned my attention to Black Panther, taking his focus away from Bucky. We sparred, almost like we were training together, throwing punches and ducking quickly. I hit him with electricity, kicking him while he was incapacitated and knocking him down to the floor. Out of the corner of my eye I saw Wanda telekinetically drag Nat away from Hawkeye, causing her to fall forcefully to the ground. I ran to her, helping her up.

"Listen... we're still friends right?" I asked hopefully.

"No," she said, stone-faced, before breaking out in a smile. "We're sisters." In any other situation, we would have hugged and dissolved into a plethora of giggles, but in the middle of this war, giggles were the last thing from my mind.

"You know someone's going to end up getting killed right?" I asked, looking around the battlefield to see Steve fighting with Spiderman, Falcon, Rhodey and Stark flying through the air, and Black Panther shakily getting to his feet and running, yet again, towards Bucky.

"Look, I don't care that he's a nice guy or that you like him," she said, glancing at Bucky. "But please... don't die for him."

"Nat, he's in this mess because of me. HYDRA made him an assassin to find me – I can't let anything happen to him, I can't have any more blood on my hands."

"Then... go to him," she said, pushing me in his direction. I knew that she'd never understand it, no one could ever truly know why Bucky meant so much to me, or why I felt responsible for making him what he was, but she trusted me. That was all I could ask for.

I ran towards him as Stark, once again, stopped in front of me and immediately hit me with something.

"Ahh," I yelled, falling to the ground in pain.

"I'm sorry about this, really," Stark said, holding his hand out to hit me with a repulsor beam when all of a sudden, his suit short-circuited.

"You're gonna have to take this into the shop!" I could faintly make out the voice of Scott Lang.

"Who's speaking?" Stark asked incredulously, looking at me for answers. I avoided eye contact, smiling to myself.

"It's your conscience – we don't talk a lot these days," Scott said.

In the confusion, I managed to slip away from Stark and ran towards Bucky, who enveloped me in a quick hug as soon as I reached him.

"OK?" he asked, glancing over my scratches and various wounds.

"Fine," I answered truthfully. "You?"

"I'm alright," he said, holding my hand as Steve ran to us. "We gotta go, that guy's probably in Siberia by now."

"We gotta draw out the flyers. I'll take Vision, you get to the jet," Steve said in response.

"No. You get to the jet," Falcon said, flying overhead. "Both of you."

I knew this was coming. "The rest of us aren't getting out of here," I said sadly. Bucky squeezed my hand tightly, a worried look on his face.

"If we're gonna win this one," Hawkeye started. "Some of us might have to lose it."

"I'm not leaving here without you," Bucky said.

"This isn't the real fight," I reminded him. "This was never about us, it was about you and Steve stopping the doctor before he unleashes the other Winter Soldiers."

"This wasn't the plan," he responded, wrapping an arm around me.

I put my hands on either side of his face, filling him in on what I already knew. "This was always the plan."

We kissed for the second time in our lives – it was magic. I couldn't believe that, after today, I might never get to do this again, to be this close to the guy that I was slowly, surely, falling in love with.

"Alright Sam," Steve said, catching our attention. "What's the play?"

"We need a diversion," he answered.

"Something big," I added.

"I've got something kinda big," Scott said. "But I can't hold it very long. On my signal – run like hell! And if I tear myself in half..."

"He's gonna tear himself in half?" Bucky asked.

"Don't tear yourself in half!" I warned Scott. "Seriously, Pym will never forgive me!"

"You sure about this Scott?" Steve asked.

"Yeah, I do it all the time. I mean... once, in a lab, and I passed out."

"Scott!" I called out in another warning.

A second later, Scott Lang was standing in front of us, having gone from the size of an ant to the size of Godzilla!

"Holy shit!" I heard Spider-Man say in shock.

"I guess that's the signal?" Steve asked with a slight smile on his face.

"Get to the Quinjet!" I ordered them. "I'll be here when this is all over," I promised Bucky, leaning in for one more quick kiss before sending him running after Steve. Now our job was to make sure that no one got in their way.

Scott grabbed hold of Rhodey and waved him around like a toddler playing with an Action Figure.

"Give me back my Rhodey!" Stark said angrily.

He let him go, throwing him away and pulling apart pieces of planes, throwing them around and causing mini explosions. I noticed Vision watching Steve and Bucky run. When he realised where they were going, he flew towards them. Thinking quickly, I encased him in a force field, slowing him down.

"Let me go," he said softly, like a parent who is 'not angry, just disappointed'.

"You're not right!" I shouted towards him. "I can't let you do this."

"You're dangerous. The consequences of your decisions will kill – I can't let that happen."

"Vision, trust me. Please believe that I know what I'm doing," I pleaded with him.

"I can't do that," he said, curling himself up into a ball inside the force field. He opened himself up with an inhuman force and broke himself out, hitting me with his power. I fell to the ground and saw Wanda helping Steve and Bucky get to the quinjet. Then everything went black.

****************************************

Thank you for reading! Come back next Saturday to read the next chapter!

Can you guess where Rogue ends up? Vote and leave a comment!