Chapter 12

"What was his Highness's response?"

Hella strode across the room, her long gown swirling against Consiflore's legs as she passed. She stopped by the tiny desk and toyed with the feather of her quill pen. "His Highness has forbidden me entrance to his quarters." She broke the feather between her fingers and hurled it at the wall.

"Did he say anything about- about- the woman?"

She marched back to where the Count stood, eyes blazing. "You mean the Pennistyle woman? Did he ask if I threw her from the castle walk? What's the matter Consiflore, too squeamish to say the words?"

He blanched from her tirade, wisely holding his tongue and wiping a faint spray of spittle from his cheek. Circumstances had changed and he felt inclined to watch the wind before declaring his loyalty. If the King were able to enforce his authority, Hella might not be quite the threat of power she seemed; a judicious approach to the political aspect of events was called for.

"What are you staring at?"

"Nothing my Queen, I was, ah- I was just thinking how apprehending the boy soon, would ease your current dilemma."

"Brilliant! Just brilliant! I thought that was the whole idea in the first place, you IDIOT!" Hella threw up her arms and returned to the desk. "When can I expect to hear you have the boy?" Her voice dripped with menace.

"Soon, M'lady. I trust very soon." He felt a trickle of sweat beside his ear and wiped it away, pretending to adjust his wig of brown curls. "With your leave, I'll go and assess the situation with my men."

"GO! And return quickly with good news, Consiflore. My patience grows very, VERY, thin."

The Count hurried back to his quarters, summoning his aide and transferring the Queen's threats to the unfortunate subordinate. "You will ride hard after Captain Gar and deliver his report back to me—with good news."

The soldier spread his hands. "But sir, I know not what direction—"

"FIND IT! FIND THEM! NOW GET OUT OF MY SIGHT!"

*****

The solitary rider drove his horse relentlessly, following, he hoped, the path of the king's soldiers. The information, learned in Dyst, sent him thundering along the route Gar and his men had taken to avoid the Great Plain. His determination and concentration were such that he completely missed the trio with the wagon and mule hiding by the roadside.

*****

After making certain that the soldiers had left the vicinity, and puzzling only briefly over the solitary rider, Derrick relaxed and lit a small fire, brewing some tea and breaking out a ration of dried meat to share with his guests. William and Mary ate hungrily, surprising themselves with their ravenous appetite.

"For such seasoned travelers you don't seem too well prepared," Derrick observed.

"We have encountered a few misfortunes on our journey." William disclaimed his host's remark. "As you saw, many of King Graf's soldiers follow our path."

Dolly snorted noisily in the shade of a large tree and Derrick chuckled aloud. "Tell me again about this Pennistyle fellow."

"We carry grave news of his family. News that is important for him to know as soon as possible."

Derrick sipped his tea, watching them. "He reluctantly told me that he was seeking someone in the village of Dyst. We traveled there together then parted. The soldiers were only half a day behind at that point."

William frowned. "But we just saw them streaking southward, I don't understand. If they'd caught Jep they would be heading back to Graf."

Derrick put down his cup, picked up a small twig, and began scratching in the dirt by his feet. "I think I might have an idea. If Jep didn't find this person in Dyst, the next town in that direction is Nygard, on the far side of the Great Plain. Now a man could cross the plain on foot, although the risk would be great, but a man or men on horseback could never do it."