Chapter 14

The Duke's jaw dropped lower and lower as he Rodney described what had overheard at the Iron Staff the previous evening. He couldn't believe his good fortune. Not only did he have Gwendolise Bogendancer and the family stones she must be hiding in the town, but now he also had a link to the Key with the Pennistyle lad. Rodney preened under his uncle's adulation, seeing for himself a very rosy future indeed.

"Where are they now?" The Duke asked, almost drooling.

"In Gwenbo's quarters at the inn." Rodney sprang to the alert. "Shall I gather the men and fetch them, uncle?"

"Let me consider this a while. Meantime, you go back and make sure they don't disappear."

Rodney fairly raced from the room, leaping down the steps to the street and running as fast as he could back to the inn.

*****

Jep spent the night in the back of the Iron Staff; it was his first good night's sleep in a while. Before retiring, he showed Gwendolise the box with the Key then secured it in a dark niche in the ceiling beams; it was the best they could do in the circumstances, and at least he wouldn't be caught with it on him. When he awoke, he was surprised and pleased to find Gwendolise busily making more tea and mixing some kind of soup over the fire.

"Good morning," he said, somewhat embarrassed about her seeing him asleep.

"Good morning to you. Did you sleep well?" She carried two steaming bowls to the small table, returning for two mugs of hot tea.

"Very well, thank you." He accepted her invitation to sit and eat. "I uh, thought a lot about what you said last night. About not being able to leave Nygard..."

"And?"

"Well to tell the truth, I couldn't believe the tale; it's too ludicrous to contemplate."

"Really. Well there's certainly one way to find out isn't there?" She spoke without meeting his eyes. Being discovered by this young man had shaken her. If the Duke knew her true identity, he wouldn't stop until he found her cache of stones and then there would be no stopping his lust for control.

Jep considered her words. "What did you plan to do then? How long will you live this- this- life, trapped in Nygard?"

"Why are you concerned?' She asked with annoyance.

"Come on, Gwend-Gwenbo, we've already shared our secrets and we're both trying to do the same thing." He stood and joined her by the fire. "My ancestors have carried their secret as well; Balfour's hope that the stones will be placed under the control of one person, a person capable of assuring a fair and peaceful use of their power was part of the instruction to Aaron."

She turned to him, suspicion in her eyes. "Are you saying that because you hold the Key that you are that person?"

Jep blinked. It stood to reason that she would think that, after all, each family knew the history of what went on in Mount Drood. "My family could certainly bear that honour, yes." There was no point lying, but the truth was, he didn't know what he would do if and when that time came.

"We must leave Nygard immediately." Her cheeks became pale and her grip on his arms was almost painful. "If the Duke discovers—"

"The Duke has discovered... Gwenbo, or should I say, Gwendolise Bogendancer." Rodney leaned cockily in the doorway, an evil sneer twisting on his face. Jep pushed her behind him and stood ready to confront Rodney. "Ho, ho, the maiden's hero. How touching, how gallant." Rodney stood back and snapped his fingers and instantly, four rough looking soldiers burst into the room, swords drawn. "Take them to the palace, my uncle wishes an audience."