6

I felt myself being pulled into someone's arms as my wrists were gently untied. My shoulders ached as my arms moved. I looked up at Ronnie as he pulled me away from the bars. 

"Oh sweet girl, you are just a magnet for trouble aren't you?" He asked. I smiled, noticing how careful he was being with my back. He took me to my blankets. "I'm gonna change you okay? We need to fix these so they don't scar you."

I nodded and prayed I could trust him as I faded back into darkness.

...

"Jade?" I heard someone whisper. "Jade, wake up."

I opened my eyes just enough to see Ronnie. He had me pulled up against him in the dark corner of my cage. I looked down at myself, I was wearing an oversized button-up shirt and my underwear. My hair was wet and cold. I felt dazed and fear ran through me as I tried and failed to stop the spinning in my head.

"We have to go somewhere, okay?" He whispered. "Just for a little while."

"Where are we going?" I asked. I sat up and felt the fresh marks from the whip burn on my back and a groan erupted from my throat.

"Anywhere, but we can't be here. So quietly, follow me." He whispered. He stood up, but I didn't move.

"Am I getting into trouble again?" I asked.

"No, we have to move now, Jade." He said holding out his hand to help me up. I took it and we moved to the door. He pulled me behind him before I had the chance to reconsider. I heard a man scream in pain and my entire body tensed. I felt frozen in fear. That had been me just the day before and could easily be me again for leaving my cage.

Ronnie kept moving and pulled me up the stairs. It was dark outside the kitchen windows, but I didn't get a chance to look. We snuck through the dark hallway, then up the big stairs, and went to the third door. He pulled out a key and unlocked the door. Ronnie flipped on the lights as he pulled me in, locking the door behind us.

"This is my room," he said.

I looked around the large room. The walls were all a plain beige color. Everything looked that way, plain and empty. The beige, neatly made, queen size bed was in the corner and the nightstand was empty except for a lamp. There was no TV or any personal effects. The dressers looked plain and unused and the bookshelf was empty. The desk had only a laptop and an empty notepad. It didn't look like anyone lived here.

"Why did you bring me here?" I asked fixing the shirt so it covered more.

"They are... dealing with Chance. I didn't want you to hear it." He said sitting down on the small sofa.

I walked over to his dresser and started looking for pants. I opened the first drawer and found only boxers and socks.

"What are you doing?" Ronnie asked from the sofa.

I opened the next drawer and found the sleep pants I was looking for. I pulled them on quickly before walking over to the sofa and sitting beside Ronnie.

I melted into the fluffy cushions. He laughed lightly.

"I'm very happy right here," I said smiling at him.

"You've adjusted better than any of us had expected." He said a little quieter. I looked at him for a moment.

"You act like I had a choice," I said seriously.

"I'm sorry." He replied laying his head on the back of the couch. We were quiet for a moment. "You know the boss is back? He doesn't know about you yet, but they told him that Chance was up to his old tricks again and that's all he needed. He's dealing with him now. If he'd have known about you, and known you, he'd kill Chance for even thinking about it."

"Do you think he'll want me? Or will he think I'm not good enough and make you kill me?" I asked quietly.

"He will love you," he said softly.

"I doubt it."

"You know, he's never had me kill one. His brother had me deal with a few,  but Blake doesn't want them hurt. I have to kill them in the end when he releases them though. He actually rarely speaks to his father, Marlben, since he started picking up these girls. You're supposed to be the one who fixes their relationship. Supposed to make him happy enough to forgive him." As he spoke, he pulled something out of his back pocket. The good wife book from downstairs. "That's why you're supposed to read this."

"Ugh...." I dropped back against the sofa. "I hate that book. Have you read it? It's stupid, insane even."

"They'll make me hurt you if you don't read it... please read it." He sighed. I groaned and took the book from him. "I have to go so no one gets suspicious. Read that and I'll be back in a few hours."

"Okay." He locked the door behind him as he left. At least this was better than my cage. I sighed and opened the book.

7 She will help prepare her husband for work and send him off with a kiss.

8 A good wife will heal her husband's illness as well as she can and stay through sickness and health.

9 She will never expect too much from her husband or try to change him.

10 She will always defend her husband's name.

11 She will know him inside and out and know how to keep her husband happy.

12 A good wife will have good advice and support and guide her husband through happy or hard times.

I closed the book again and sighed. This couldn't be real. How could I be here? Is anyone looking for me? Are my mother and brother worried?

I got up from the sofa and laid down on Ronnie's bed. It was fluffy and warm as I sank beneath the blankets and I fell asleep wondering what Ronnie planned to do when they saw that I was missing.