③⑧ ✍️ Writing Tip: The Semi-Colon

This is the rule you hear most for the semi-colon:

You'll never know how to use one, so never use one.

It's true that the semi-colon is not the easiest punctuation mark to use; however, as I just demonstrated, sometimes it really is the best option.

Here is when you SHOULD use it:

👉 When you're connecting two COMPLETE sentences with the word "however." See above.

👉 Complex lists like this: "I like coconuts, but only when they're soft; chocolate, as long as it's dark; and also oats."

Imagine that sentence with only commas. Each clause (e.g. "but only when they're soft") would blend into each element of the list (e.g. coconuts), and that's no bueno. Hence the semi-colons. They clarify the sentence.

👉 When you're connecting a lot of stuff. Example:

"The Great Tree was shining above her teary cheeks and flustered golden braids, just the way she had dreamt it; and below her shivering feet was the skating rink, its flashing surface ready to be danced upon, just the way she had dreamt it."

It's true that the best way to learn how to use a semi-colon is to read a lot of great literature. There, you'll learn all kinds of funny little ways the great use them, because a lot aren't intuitive.

Here's a final way you can use them:

👉 To connect two COMPLETE sentences that are related.

"William shrieked and Daryl shielded his eyes; they tried to reach her, but Dorothy quietly breathed."

The actions in these sentences happen in conjunction. Daryl shields his eyes while William shrieks WHILE they try to reach her. It's all related.

Here is when you SHOULD NOT use it:

👉When something simpler works just as well. Use the semi-colon only where you have a good reason.

👉To make your sentences really long. Don't make long sentences if they have a lot of varied content in them. Let your reader rest and interpret. If the sentence keeps going, and you keep introducing a lot of new ideas, they'll forget your point. 

👉To over-direct your readers. You are like a film director, trying to get the scene across to an actor. Tell them what they need to know without stifling them. Allow your reader to interpret the pace / cadence for themselves. Just because you feel a pause would be great, you shouldn't always use "..." Let your reader make the choice sometimes. Pick your battles and err on the side of emptiness!

Well now we're talking about the ellipsis, so it's probably a good time to move on. However, let me first say this: I know this might all sound really hard! It might sound really confusing. 

That's okay

That's okay.

Just know that perfecting paragraphs is the art of writing. This is what you're here for! When you master this stuff, you'll be great.