Chapter 1

I am awaken by the loud Hells Kitchen noise outside and I groan along with looking at my clock. '5:28 AM' it reads and I rub my head along with looking at the ceiling. I hated waking up before my alarm and I stare at my ceiling along with hearing something in the next room. Must be Dad and Sarah who are getting up along with getting ready. Dad is a lawyer and Sarah worked at a nearby store that sold women's clothing, dad forced me to work there for a year but I quit when I found a job at a newspaper called The Bulletin. I was a small writer and always had my article in the paper, someone always sure that the boss would put my article in. I snap out of my thoughts when someone knocks on my door and I said "What?" Dad pokes his head in and he said "Hey Haiz. I'm heading out early because Hogarth needs to see me." I nod and I said "I'm gonna go to the office after school." He nods and said "Alright. I'll see you at dinner." He kissed my head and I nodded along with watching him go down the stairs. I hear him say goodbye to Sarah and the door closes. I sigh and get up along with going to the bathroom. I start the shower and looked at myself in the mirror with a small smile on my lips. I strip off my clothes and get in the shower, feeling the warm water all over my hair, face, and body. I wash my hair and hum a song that was stuck in my head. "I don't wanna be no man's woman..." I sing and I smile. I hear a knock at the door and I hear Nick say "Almost Done Sinéad?" I roll my eyes and said "Two more minutes." Fucking annoying stepbrother...well not exactly stepbrother yet. Dad and Sarah were only engaged but they acted like they were married. I shut off the water and put on a towel along with opening the door. "You have a nice voice." Nick says and I flip him off along with going into my bedroom. I shut my door and I grab a shirt along with a skirt. I'm not big on fashion or the way I look, I'm not a narcissist but my dad can be one at times. I put on the shirt and skirt along with throwing on a jacket over the shirt. I keep my hair down and I go downstairs where I hear the TV on. "Good Morning Hailee." Sarah says with her British accent and I said "Morning Sarah." I wasn't too fond of Sarah...sure I never really grew up with a mother but I didn't want another one. Dad met Sarah at some wedding he went to and they hit it off right away. They had Nick when I was about 4 or 5...I can't remember because dad never told me about Sarah or Nick. He kept it a secret because he didn't want me to be mad that he had a new relationship. I was 10 when he told me and I was beyond mad with him. I later stopped acting like a stupid brat and I met Sarah along with Nick at a dinner that Dad forced me to go to. Sarah has been trying to bond with me but I don't know if I want to bond...what if she leaves like mom did? Mom left when I was 5 months and left Dad with me. I grew up without a mother and she never cared to see me. Dad told me sometimes that maybe mom would come to see us but she never did. There is a faint memory from my childhood where I was with a woman with black hair and hazel like eyes. She held me and was running while someone was screaming to return me. When this was? I can't remember but I never asked dad about it because he avoided any questions about my mom. Sarah and him despised her with a strong passion. I only have one picture of mom and it's a bit old. I don't look like her in my eyes but dad thought I did. I have never met her face to face or ever really heard her voice. I sit down in my chair and Sarah sat the food on the table along with sitting down. Her dark hair was in a ponytail and her blue eyes are meeting my eyes. She was beautiful, no doubt about that but I never really saw what my dad saw in her. I put the food she made on my plate and start to eat. "Have a busy day?" Sarah asks and I shrug. "It's school. It's busy..but I have work after school." She looks at me and said "You have a great job. You write for the best paper in Hells Kitchen...We are proud of you Hailee." I nod and said "Thanks Sarah..." She nods and said "Are you going to take a taxi back home?" I nod and she said "Okay. I'll tell your dad." We sit in silence and Nick comes down. "Morning mom." He says and he looks at me. "Morning Sinéad." He says and I reply "Fuck you." Sarah glares at me and said "Language." I roll my eyes and get up along with grabbing my book bag. "I'll be home by dinner." I leave the apartment and I slam the door behind me. I don't try to be a bitch but sometimes I can't control my attitude. Sometimes Nick gets on my nerves but I try to be nice but I was done then. I sigh and go to the elevator along with going down into the streets. I start to walk to my school with a frown on my lips.