Chapter 18

"She's gone!" William was distraught. Dolly was still tethered to the tree and Derrick found all his possessions still intact. There were signs of horses and footprints around the campsite and Mokum followed them a short distance toward the rocky hill above the tree line.

"Two horses came and went the same way," he said, returning to the group. "Up there."

"It's Gar." Argon said in a voice flat with defeat.

"We must find her," Jep offered. "Perhaps we can strike a bargain with this Gar fellow." They all looked at him in stunned embarrassment. "What?"

"The only deal we'll strike with Gar is to give him what he wants or die." Argon spoke with convincing personal knowledge.

Gwendolise stepped forward with her hands held out helplessly. "Could we all just stop for a minute and explain to me exactly what is happening here. Who are these people? Who is this Gar? What's going on?"

Jep waved a hand indicating William. "This IS a friend of mine, William Kendrick from Graf, where I live, and that is Derrick Kriss, a traveler I met on my way to find you; he helped me. Mokum I met after crossing the Great Plain..." He paused a moment, looking confused, then admitted that that was all he knew.

"Explanations can wait," William pleaded. "We must find Mary."

"I think that little detail has been taken care of." Argon pointed to the band of riders coming down the hill toward them, the figure of Mary tied to a horse held closely to the formidable looking leader.

They galloped brazenly into the campsite, reining in their mounts in a cloud of dust and flying twigs. The men all dismounted, surrounding the group and herding them into a small circle in front of Gar, who peered down from his horse through an angry, red eye.

"You've led us a merry chase, Jep Pennistyle." He grinned, pulling Mary's horse alongside. "And now you and your little army are my prisoners." He gave an ugly laugh. "By the by, that was a very nice rescue you performed." The one eye swung around to William.

"Let the girl go." He said defiantly. Two soldiers quickly moved forward and grabbed him from behind, forcing him to his knees. William glared up at Gar, still defiant. "Do as you will with me, but let the girl go."

"I care not for this wench," Gar roared, dismounting and flinging the reins aside, "or for you, you whimpering scum!" He drew his sword and brandished it before William's face. "My interest is only in Master Pennistyle—the rest of you..." Gar let a shrug convey his meaning.

The collision with the horse knocked Gar sprawling into William and the two soldiers holding him. Mary urged the animal forward again, trampling one of the men under its frantic hooves. Everyone scattered, fleeing the frightened horse as it reared up, dumping Mary painfully to the ground. Instantly, Derrick and Mokum attacked the two closest soldiers, their knives flashing in a swift act of death.

There was yelling, screaming and cursing as bodies stumbled and flailed at one another amid the stampede of the other horses. Argon flung himself at Gar's lieutenant who was about to plunge his sword into Mokum's back. They wrestled briefly until Argon swung the man down, smashing his head against the wheel of Derrick's wagon. In a last desperate act, the soldier thrust wildly with his sword, catching Argon across the chest and opening a wide, fatal gash.

He cried out and sank to the ground, blankly staring at his life's blood soaking into his tunic.

Jep leapt to William's aid, slamming his pack into the side of Gar's helmet and knocking the man face down into the dirt. Gar's good eye filled with soil and he groaned aloud as he tried to dig free his sight. Another crashing blow beneath his chin sent him flailing backwards where he crashed unconscious into the trunk of a large tree.

Gwendolise was helping Mary over to the edge of the campsite, freeing her hands and tending to the knot on her forehead from the fall off the horse. Faced with overwhelming odds, the remaining soldier turned and fled, following the route of the runaway horses. William sat on the back of the last soldier holding, his sword to his neck.

The skirmish was over and the group stood trembling and panting as they gazed around at the carnage. Mokum stood from closing Argon's dead eyes, his sad expression revealing the brief bond he felt with the soldier.

"Tie these two up," William said, indicating the man he sat upon and the unconscious Gar. "Mokum, see if you can retrieve any of the horses" As the Huth scurried off, William hurried over to Mary, taking her in his arms and kissing the blossoming bruise at her hairline.

"She'll be fine," Gwendolise said, smiling slightly at the embrace. "Is there time now for an explanation of all this?"

Mokum managed to round up two horses and along with Dolly, and the wagon, everyone had transportation. Gar and the remaining soldier were left tied at the campsite with a skin of water and some dried meat for sustenance—if they were lucky enough to free themselves. Gwendolise rode one of the horses while William and Mary shared another. Jep sat alone in the back of the wagon driven by Derrick and Mokum.

The news of his parents cast a pall over the group, no one wanted to break the silence, respecting his emotional struggle. Gwendolise rode alongside Mary, explaining how they escaped from the Duke and about recovering their things from the Iron Staff. When the topic of the stones became too intense, Gwendolise simply offered a smile and dropped back to ride beside Jep in the wagon. When the sun disappeared behind a low range of mountains, Derrick pulled the wagon to a halt beside a narrow rill, suggesting they make camp for the night.

He and Mokum set up the campfire and salvaged enough items from the wagon and the packs on the soldier's horses to provide a comfortable night's sleep.