Chapter 21

Running at right angles from the base of Mount Drood, the Wye Valley angled downward toward the Sea of Sounds, beginning with the dense woods that fringed the base of the mountain and opening into the flower filled, lush green of the valley basin. Near the water, on the northern slope, stood the site of the, centre of commerce for the entire area around the Sea of Sounds.

A settlement of colourful tents, gaily decorated wooden stalls, even simple wagons, arranged in polite rows, permitting buyers to view their goods with unobstructed passage. Business boomed year round in the market as merchants brought their wares from places as far as a month's journey away.

Whatever was needed, it could be found in the Wye Valley, and looming above it all, on the top of Mount Drood, were the now forlorn remains of Balfour's castle.

Children ran and laughed, chasing among the stalls and ducking the good-natured scolding of the merchants and dodging the musicians and other entertainers gainfully pursuing their craft. A warm sun filled the valley; it was an idyllic setting. Hella's arrival was greeted with appropriate reverence and she and her entourage were provided a comfortable location in a shady area near the water—some distance from the market.

The Fair Master, a stout, jolly man with great white whiskers on either side of a shiny bald head, officially saw the Queen to her site and invited her to be an honoured guest at the evening meal, an event involving everyone at the close of each day's business. With some amusement, she accepted, expecting a royal reception from the merchants, meanwhile, she advised him that she needed some time to rest from her long journey.

Gar halted his horse in the shade of a rocky outcrop above the valley and dismounted. He was surprised to see just how large the market was and how busy it appeared even at this distance. Rodney climbed from his horse and came to stand beside him, the new partnership allowing for a slightly more relaxed atmosphere between them.

"It will take some persistence to find them in that throng—if indeed they are here yet."

Gar grumbled something unintelligible and pointed toward the end of the valley. "Does that look like a royal standard to you?"

"Odds bodkins, Captain! You can see that with one eye?" Rodney squinted at the tiny fluttering flag that seemed miles away.

"Consiflore and the Queen are already here." He said, ignoring Rodney's awe. "We will need to be more careful now. They can not know of our presence." Gar turned back to his horse, and the soldier minding it, pausing to collect his thoughts. Under the new circumstances, this man could now be a liability—one he neither needed nor wanted.

"We'll camp up here. Maybe go down after dark and take a look around." Gar growled, leading the riderless horse back up the slope and around behind the rocks. Rodney followed obediently, nodding dumbly as he looked back at the body of the slain soldier. It occurred to him that perhaps he should reconsider relaxing.

*****

Derrick convinced the others to approach the Wye Valley from a circuitous route in case their adversaries had arrived before them and laid a trap. There was every reason to believe that they would know, somehow, that Mount Drood was the final destination and it was better to be safe than sorry. The path he chose brought them along the shore of the Sea of Sounds, and was it not for the advanced scouting of Mokum, right into Queen Hella's encampment.

"What is she doing here?" Mary worried, clutching at William's sleeve.

"Presumably, the same as we are." He turned to Gwendolise, questioningly.

"I haven't seen my sister for many years, I don't know her mind today, but if she hasn't changed, she's here to secure the stones—at any cost. She must not find us."

"We'll find a place to stop and make plans." Derrick said. We can scout the area and find a way to the mine without their knowledge."

Jep stood grim lipped, staring in the direction of the Queen's camp. His instinct was to rush in and avenge his parents and the Balfour stones be damned. Gwendolise moved to his side, grasping his arm and gently pulling him back.

"I know what you're thinking, Jep, but we have a greater cause to complete." She knew her words were unkind, but she also knew they were the truth, and Jep had to realize that. "Afterwards there will be time."

He let her lead him back to the others, gradually recovering his senses enough to assure them all that he would be fine.

They found a depression behind a stand of towering pines that sheltered them from both the market and the Queen's camp. Mokum was designated lookout and Derrick set off for the market to get fresh food and water while the rest took care of the animals and set up the site.

Although Mary still worried, the presence of Gwendolise provided a female ally in whom she could confide, an outlet not available through the men. They finished tending the horses, gave Dolly a handful of Mokum's Huthwheat, and settled down beside the wagon to wait for Derrick's return.

"Are you and William betrothed?" Gwendolise asked pleasantly.

"Oh no! No we- we uh- well we are- we are in love." The admission, aloud to a stranger, coloured her cheeks.

"You needn't blush, I think it's very nice. Have you felt this way for long?"

Mary blushed again. She wasn't used to discussing such intimate feelings this way. "Uhh- well- yes."

"I envy you. My life has been one of avoiding men as much as possible, particularly when they are like the Rodney Dunbars of the world."

"But why?" Mary blurted. "You are a very beautiful woman, surely many men have sought your hand."

She smiled and looked away. "Thank you. There was one... once." Her voice cracked slightly and Mary leaned over, resting a hand on her arm. "It's all right." She smiled, patting Mary's hand. "It was a long time ago. He was killed by marauders on his parent's farm.

"Oh dear, that must have been- were you- were you..."

She smiled again, brightening. "In love? Yes, very much. We were to marry that summer. Don't fret." She said, seeing Mary's downcast expression. "It was a long time ago and I'm well over it."

"I don't know what I would do if something happened to William. Especially now."

"Nothing will. Don't worry. Once the stones are back in the mine and the key is hidden away, that will be the end of it." Mary looked doubtful and Gwendolise knew exactly what she was thinking. The danger wasn't over as long as Queen Hella was in Jep's sights. "I guess that's a bit of a rash statement considering Jep's state of mind." They shared a grim chuckle and fell silent with their own thoughts.