Chapter 28

Rodney collapsed on a moss-covered stump, his chest heaving from running through the treacherous forest. His face and hands, covered in cuts and scrapes from the harsh dead twigs and bushes, ached painfully as did his parched throat. He hadn't heard the soldiers that chased him for some time now and his intuition told him that they had lost his trail.

With dusk turning to darkness, Rodney knew he had to find his way back to the castle or at least some place close by. He couldn't spend the night in this forsaken forest; who knew what evil lived in such a desolate place. Taking a few deep breathes, he stood and tried to orient himself, choosing what he hoped would be the correct direction out of the woods.

The flicker of the flame was barely visible in the corner of the courtyard. Rodney watched from the edge of the trees as Gar moved about collecting branches to burn. Against the wall, seated on a cushion from the chair that lay broken among the carnage in the centre of the yard, the Queen was leaning toward the one called Count Consiflore.

They seemed to be deep in conversation. He wondered at his chances if he walked into the group and offered his help in finding the mine. Gar would probably kill him on the spot. He rubbed the hand that Gar had pierced when the last met. It was just another pain to contend with now. Gar returned and sat down and a few minutes later, they seemed to be eating something.

Rodney's stomach growled, reminding him that he hadn't had anything for some time. Should he risk it? What was the alternative? There wasn't one. Slowly, he rose up from his blind and began a nervous journey across the courtyard.

*****

"How do you know where you're going?" William was pestering Jep who was picking his way through the darkness. "I thought you had to begin on the castle grounds."

"That was just a stalling tactic. I had to convince them that they needed me to find the mine."

"You mean anyone could find it?"

"Anyone having the Key could."

"I don't understand. Wait a minute," he grabbed Jep's arm, "slow down. We need to talk."

The group huddled on their haunches in the blackness, peering intently to see others faces. "How can you possibly know where to go in this- this jungle—and in the pitch black?" William's voice filled with concern.

Jep opened the box and withdrew the key. Holding the small pyramid to the sky, he aimed the pointed end at the North Star and peered through the base. "Here, take a look." He held the key in position while William pressed his eye to the base. Inside the key, William saw a swirling of what appeared like smoke.

As the smoke cleared, a series of fine lines grew from the walls of the key, intersecting at a point just off centre of the interior. Suddenly, an image appeared and as William watched in awe, it resolved itself into a distinct landscape showing Balfour Castle, a trail leading into the forest and a clearing with a large boulder set into a shallow hillside.

"What is that? Is that a map to the mine?"

"Exactly. Anybody having the key could find it."

"But that doesn't explain how you're moving through here in the dark. How do you know which way to go? How can you see which way to go?"

"Ironically, it was a gift from Prize." Feeling their astonishment, Jep explained about the small blue pills he'd taken when crossing the Great Plain and how it had enabled him to see in the dark. He'd used the last one to find his way tonight and hopefully, to give them an advantage over their enemies.

"'Tis even better than Huthwheat." Mokum admitted with admiration.

"Don't mention Huthwheat," Mary moaned.

"Thee weren't harmed." He said defensively.

"People... we have a mission to complete. Could we leave the chit chat until later, please." Gwendolise stood, stretching her legs and prodding Jep to resume his lead.

"The pill is wearing off. I don't think I'll be able to go much longer than half an hour. We will probably need to bed down somewhere and continue in the daylight."

"Then let's not waste what time we have."

*****

Gar watched Rodney cross the square and come toward them. His instinct was to whip out his sword and present the Queen with a souvenir head but discretion prevailed and he bided his time.

Consiflore shuttled around beside Hella as Rodney stepped up to their fire, his fingers on the hilt of his dagger.

"Another of the heroic gentlemen, practiced in the art of flight, returns I see." Hella's voice dripped sarcasm.

Rodney ignored her and addressed Gar. "There are still two men out there somewhere. I managed to kill one but the others got away."

"Got away did they. Interesting how your version differs from our friend the Count's."

Both men ducked their heads. Rodney was glad they couldn't tell he was blushing in the firelight and decided to brazen it out. "If you'd rather rely on the word of one who flees to save himself, then go ahead. I didn't have to come back here." Consiflore made to protest.

"Compare your muscles some other time," Hella intervened. "What of Pennistyle and my sister?"

Rodney shrugged, squatting down and pointing to a piece of the meat roasting on the fire. Gar grunted and kicked a piece across the stones to his feet. "What does your shrug mean?"

"I thought I was closing in on them when that hag jumped me along with one of that lot." He thumbed over his shoulder to the bodies in the square. "He killed her and I killed him and then- and uh..."

"Got your tale tied in a little knot haven't you Dunbar." Rodney just shrugged again and chewed hungrily at the meat. "First light we begin our search." Gar glared at the others, daring an objection. Even Hella managed to bite her tongue and lowered her eyes in assent.

*****

They found the boulder pictured in the key before the sun was up. Years of weather and erosion had almost hidden it completely from view, but with the key, they were able to pinpoint the location and now all they had to do was get inside.

"I don't see how we could possibly move something that size." Gwendolise sighed with dejection. It's been buried for decades.

"There must be some way- I mean, nobody could move a boulder that size alone. They must have provided some means. What did this Balfour expect of someone like Jep?" William poked and scratched around the edges of the stone.

"Is there another trick inside your key?" Mokum asked.

Jep gave the little man a thoughtful look and withdrew the key from the box, studying it carefully. "I see nothing- I don't know. What do you think?" He held it out for the others to examine.

"We're wasting our time. It would have to be something magic to move that rock." Mary slumped down on the ground and began scratching in the dirt with a twig.