Chapter 29

Gwendolise tried looking through different sides of the pyramid, aiming all around the area and at the rock face, finally handing it back in disgust. "Mary's right, this is useless."

"No. There must be a way. William's right, Balfour wouldn't have designed something that took an army to achieve. We've got to think. Keep looking. Keep- whatever..."

It was Mary, idly picking at the moss-covered face of the boulder, who discovered the man made cut in the stone. When they finally thought about using the key, they found that it fit in the hole perfectly and once it was seated, the boulder shunted outward with a grinding crunch.

"I don't believe it." William crept inside and stopped, gaping at the pale blue glow that filled the cave. "I thought this was supposed to be a mine."

"It was a long time ago," Jep offered. "Maybe the landscape's changed, or maybe this was a mine back then. At any rate, what we are looking at is the treasure of Mount Drood."

"Now what?" Mary was moving her fingers over the warm stones, giggling as they dimmed and brightened.

"Now, we put all the other stones..."

"What's wrong?"

"Where are the other stones?" Jep gave Gwendolise a bleak look. "They were in the mule pack along with the key."

"You mean these?" They spun around from the entrance to the cave to see Hella holding out her arm and jiggling a small sack. "They were in the pack on the mule—the dead mule I might add, along with its owner."

"No!" Jep stepped forward and found himself surrounded by Gar, Rodney and the Count.

"Ah, but yes," Hella grinned. "He took an arrow in the back while trying to save his precious animal. But enough of old, dead friends, we would like to have the key if you please."

"How did you find us- this- the mine?"

"Not that difficult, tracking so many clumsy feet through this barren place." Gar shrugged.

Consiflore was edging toward the cave entrance, his appetite for riches and power overwhelming his senses. "By the gods! Look at this!"

His enthusiasm brought the others forward greedily, and they shoved their way into the cave's entrance. Hella gasped at the sight, and setting the bag of stones down, she exhaled grandly, her mind reeling with the possibilities. Gar just stood still, struck by the awesome beauty and magic of the stones. Rodney stepped back, taking Gwendolise by the arm and threatening her in exchange for the key.

"The key is there, in the stone." Jep shouted angrily, pointing to the boulder. "Take it and be damned forever, Dunbar."

"Tch, tch. Don't be such a sore loser, Pennistyle," Hella chided, backing out of the cave along with Gar. "People such as you don't know what to do with power like this. This is for someone with vision, with daring... someone like... me." She smiled and batted her eyes theatrically. "Get the key, Dunbar." With one hand gripping Gwendolise, Rodney moved to the stone and dug at the edge of the key trying for a grip. "Use two hands you idiot."

Scowling, he released Gwendolise and grabbed the key firmly, prying it loose from the stone. Immediately he screamed as the Key exploded in a flaming burst, taking all the fingers from his left hand. At the same moment, the stone slid back into the hill with a serious thunk, trapping Consiflore inside the cave.

"Hey!" He ran to the boulder, pounding on the solid surface. "Hey! What's going on? Open up!" Hearing his voice falling flat in the confines of the cave, Consiflore knew he was in some serious trouble. The light from the stones began to brighten, turning from the soothing, pale blue to a harsh, blinding white. His head began to feel funny and then ache.