Prefects Badges

Prefects Badges

Harold Minchum was Minister. The Prophet splashed photos of his acceptance of the office for days. It became iconic - Minchum's solemn nod and handshake with Moody, who'd been the one to make the announcement. Within days, over twenty-seven Ministry officials had been fired after investigations had shown they were affiliated with the Dark Lord or his associates - twelve of them had been sent to Azkaban to await trial, including George Rosier, and several others whose surnames Sirius and the other Marauders recognized all too well from the Slytherin house...

The next great news came three days after Minchum's assignment of Minister. Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry would be starting term, as was tradition, on 1 September, 1975, with the newly reappointed headmaster Albus Dumbledore. The Prophet showed a photo of Harold Minchum and Albus Dumbledore on the steps of Hogwarts as Minchum welcomed Dumbledore home and clapped him on the back with a strong, happy hug. "Now, Hogwarts will be safe once again," announced Minchum, "And we will officially be on the path to showing the Dark Lord that he cannot rule our lives! Let him stand in opposition to our happiness, let him cover his ears in pain as we shout for joy! May he see that our lights cannot be put out!"

James wrote this phrase on the rubber trim of his new trainers in permanent markers, much to Dora's horror and dismay. "Mum," James said patiently, "That's the sort of quote you keep about you everywhere you go. Think of it as I'm always walking in what I believe." He grinned.

The letters from Hogwarts came by the end of the week on the wings of Hogwarts school owls; one for James, one for Remus, and -- he had never been so thankful for an envelope bearing his name upon it in all of his life before -- one for Sirius as well.

"I'M NOT EXPELLED ANYMORE!" Sirius cried, ecstatic.

They opened their envelopes about the breakfast table as Dora, Charlus, Ned Veigler, Tina, and Newt Scamander all watched. Newt was getting stronger and it was the second day in a row at the occupants of his briefcase had ventured out to partake of breakfast with the Potters, Sirius, and Remus. Ned was grinning at Remus as he looked over at Sirius and James's envelopes, "Are yours heavy?" he asked, "Mine is heavy."

"Heavy?" Sirius asked, glancing over. "What's it heavy for?"

"Dunno."

"Well open it, you git," Sirius demanded.

Nervous and excited, Remus tore open his envelope and out fell a shiny crest-shaped pin, Gryffindor red, with golden lettering across it, reading... "Prefect?" breathed Remus. He looked at the other two with wide eyes. "Me?"

Sirius clapped Remus on the back. "BRILLIANT."

James grinned.

Dora gasped, "Oh, Remus, I'm so proud of you, dear!" She rushed about the table and kissed the side of his head, messing up his blonde curls and making him wobble, stunned, in his seat.

Ned Veigler smiled, "Good job, Remus."

"I mean one of us had to be Prefect," said James, "It was either gonna be Rey or Peter. Sirius and I are certainly not Prefect material." Sirius grinned and he and James clinked their cups of pumpkin juice together in a cheers to their unruliness.

Remus stared at the letter in stunned silence.

"PREFECT!" Mrs. Evans held the pin in her palm, beaming with joy at it as Lily bit her lips. She'd been expecting the pin - after all, there was a boy and a girl prefect from each year in each house and, being the only girl... She opened her mouth to tell her mum she had no competition, but Mrs. Evans looked so bloody pleased that Lily just couldn't bring herself to do it. After all,prefect was something that Mrs. Evans understood the accomplishment of. Mrs. Evans couldn't appreciate quite as much how difficult a particular spell might've been that Lily had successfully done first, or how complicated mixing a potion could be... She couldn't appreciate those sorts of successes with as much understanding as this, being appointed prefect. "Put the pin on, I want to see how it looks!" She beamed and slipped the pin back into Lily's hand.