Chapter Seventeen

6/12/15

6/12/15

"HOLY SHIT!" I shout excitingly in response to what sits in front of Max and myself.

I don't know how Max does it, but somehow every date just gets better and better.

Max laughs at my reaction. "So you're excited?" he asks as uneasiness tinges his words.

I turn to him with a giddy smile lifting my lips. "Yes, yes, a million times yes!" I exclaim as I nod over and over again.

He sighs as the worry that once filled his body is now washed away with relief. "Okay good, I was worried you would think it was dumb..." he trails as he shoves his hands into his pockets. His cheeks flush slightly and I can't help but find him even cuter.

I shake my head. "This is awesome Max," I pause as I meet his green eyes. "Thank you," I tell him honestly.

I told Max on our first date that I haven't been to a carnival in years, and how much I missed them. When I was young my parents would always take Bailey and I to the county carnivals every summer. They held so many good memories for me, but I didn't know telling Max this little piece of information would lead to this.

Max drove for over an hour without letting up on the surprise, even though I begged him to tell me. He took us to another town that is having their annual carnival. The bright colorful lights, the smell of fried food and sticky candy, and the sounds of excited screams fill the air around me making me dizzy with happiness.

I place a small kiss on Max's pink stained cheek, and grab onto his hands pulling him towards the ticket booth eagerly. He trails behind me as I lead him through the small patch of security and into the park.

Max laughs at my eagerness as I pull him into the center of the park where the carnival is being held. "What do you want to do Grayson?" he asks me as we continue to stroll through the crowded carnival space.

My eyes take in the bright flashing lights of the rides, and all the kids running around hyped up on sugar and adrenaline. Max's hand squeezes mine, and the warmth of him reminds me of his presence. I turn to face his jungle eyes and can't help but smile. Max is every girls dream man, and I don't know why he chose me to be with. Cynical and cold me somehow found someone who warms my heart and it makes me tingle with excitement once again.

I turn away from his gaze and look up to see the main attraction of any carnival. The ferris wheel.

I lift a single finger to point at the colorfully bright wheel before us. "I want to ride that first," I say holding back a smile.

He nods once. "Perfect," he smirks slightly and tugs on my hand to pull me towards the ride. We walk over and wait in line with the next group of riders. Couples are scattered around us, and I can't help but smile a bit. I know this is the most cliché thing for a couple to ride, but an overwhelming part of me wants to do this with Max. I want to be cliché for the first time in a long time, and it makes me anxious and excited all in the same moment.