Chapter 1

Hey guys,

Thanks to all of you taking the time to read the new story of mine, I couldn’t resist taking the time to write it before putting it up. You see I have seen quite a few rejection stories on here and wanted to have a go by doing my own, but of course with a slight twist.

Warning the story may contain upsetting scenes but don’t expect anything like rape, I find it impossible for me to both read and write stories on here with anything like that in so it won’t be in any of my stories. I have nothing against those of you who may have very well written it, but I refuse to write anything of the sort.

So with that please tell me your thoughts.

Lots of Love

XXX

Chapter 1

Being alone is different to feeling alone, completely different actually. You see when you feel alone it is merely an emotion, hell you could be in a room full of people who cared for you and yet you still feel the horrible emotion of loneliness. Being alone is different; being alone is when you have nobody who cares about you, when nobody would miss you if you were gone. That was what I was; I was alone in every sense of the word.

Let me explain. My name is Holly Woods and I am 16 years old. I belong to a pack of werewolves who are known for their skill in both tracking and taking down enemies, though the pack was far from the greatest out there.

It was called the ‘midnight’ pack, it was my personal hell. You see I wasn’t the prettiest girl in the world, far from it actually. I happened to be the only member of the pack who had not only raven black hair but strangely amber coloured eyes; it had nothing to do with my wolf coming through since I was just born with the rare eye colour. I didn’t like it; it was the source of the many jokes which were thrown my way daily after all.

My complexion like nearly all werewolves was naturally deeply tanned, the genes which had been passed down to me from my parents being the reason why. The males also tended to be quite toned as well as the females, it was only predictable due to the exercise we used up when exercising and such. I didn’t mind, I was far from being ‘fat’ or ‘chubby’ as so many of them called me, as a matter of fact I was unhealthily thin. Years of starvation and rood rations will do that to a person.

You see I was what most called me, the runt of the pack. I was short for my age, even at the age of 16 I was far from the tallest person in our pack. I was also quite petite, I didn’t have the largest chest or the longest legs and I wouldn’t have thought myself as ugly if it wasn’t for the years of conditioning I had been subjected to. It was impossible for me not to take their taunts and teases to heart, they had broken me long ago.

Back to the subject at hand. My height wasn’t the only reason I was called the runt of the pack, you see while I was the daughter of the alpha and should have been treated with respect I wasn’t. I was hated in the pack, the reason unknown since as far back as I could remember I never knew what it was like to be loved. To be honest I wouldn’t have thought it existed if it hadn’t of been for me watching as couples mated over the years, it was both painful and amazing to watch.

I didn’t think I would ever find a mate which was what made it painful. Do you have any idea what it is like to watch everyone around you live their lives in happiness, to find their soul-mate and yet take it for granted. They loved each other yes, but they argued over minor issues, they teased and taunted others who didn’t have the privilege but worse of all them seemed to make it clear to everyone present that they had found there other half. It was both disappointing and sickening to watch how they took advantage of such a blessing.

Anyway I’m getting off track, but to put it both crudely and bluntly my family hated me. Again I didn’t know why, since I was sure I hadn’t done anything to offend them in such a way, but I cannot remember. I was treated worse than a slave, the reason being that it was my pack, my family, my parents who were treating me in such a way and not some random person I was taking orders from.

It wasn’t a secret to the pack how I was treated, but the alpha was my brother and because of this they kept any thoughts on how I was taunted and beaten to themselves. My brother I didn’t believe to be a good alpha, he was far from tactical, far from being good with the pack expenses and finances and extremely lazy when it came both training and his duties. My so-called father was similar, and while I had strangely been apparently gifted in the traits needed to be an alpha I knew from experience not to interfere. You know it is possible for the alpha to stop you breathing without a single touch; an alpha order will do that to you.

You see while everyone hated me, it was my brother that was the main cause behind it. You see I had been gifted with the colour white for my wolf, an extremely rare and prized colour that was the symbol of purity and love. Ironic though isn’t it, my wolf represented love yet I had never felt anything like it. It was a shame, but it was unfortunately the way I had to live my life. He was in charge, and while I could see he was running the pack into the ground it was seemingly oblivious to everyone else. It wouldn’t be long until they had to align themselves to another pack, give over control to another Alpha due to having no other choice. It didn’t bother me; I didn’t have that long left anyway.

It was my health if you were wondering, why I didn’t have long to live. You see I wasn’t ill exactly, I didn’t have a serious illness which was slowly killing me. It was rather the way I was being treated, the constant beatings, the lack of food or sleep, the amount of work which was forced upon me – it all added up in the end. Like I said, I was nothing more than a slave to the pack who was supposed to respect me, love me and to keep me safe, and yet all I could do was suffer as I watched as everything slowly unwrapped around them.

I was 13 when I first noticed the symptoms of my far from healthy lifestyle. I knew it was slowly killing me, but I found it hard to care. Depressing I know, but it is unfortunately the honest truth of how I saw the situation. I was in constant pain, whether it was from the lack of sleep or over exhaustion I didn’t know. The amount of food I barely managed to salvage a few times a week was far from enough to support my high metabolism. You see us wolves ran hotter than most, both the fact that we had an inner wolf in addition to the fact shifting used a lot of calories and energy meant a large and high diet was necessary in our case. I didn’t get nearly enough, even for a human I was reaching the point where I found it impossible to eat more than a few small bites due to my body not being able to take it.

The lack of sleep was also something I knew was serious on its own, not only was it making it near impossible for me to actually walk long distances in a straight line but it was increasing the amount of headaches I was having. Werewolves didn’t normally get ill, due to the high metabolism and such but my diet was far from healthy. I was not only plagued with nightmares, but when I actually managed to drift off I was either violently awoken or I instinctively I thought I was going to be meaning I would jump awake in fright every time I managed to close my eyes and drift off. I hated it, but my sleeping pattern had been the same for years – even if it was gradually getting worse.

I didn’t think the pack realised that it would only be a matter of months until I finally collapsed and didn’t wake up, I doubt I would be missed though. They may have expected me to heal from each beating like a werewolf would normally do, it taking only a few hours, but I didn’t have the strength nor the energy to heal at such a rapid speed. Hell I could barely walk straight, I was constantly shaking whether it was from the lack of warm clothes I had or the fact my nerves were shot. Yep, my life didn’t exactly have a long expectancy.