12. See cherry blossoms

Tom could not believe how much he hated and loved the idea of having Angie as a dance partner. He'd studied and judged her silently for a while before finally deciding to ask. The club had been an audition. She had a great sense of rhythm and could imitate his moves very well. Plus, she looked hella hot dancing,

But when he'd asked... Her reaction when hearing about the money totally put him off and he actually wished he could take it back. Because it was an issue. If she really was interested in money... Well, that was something that he couldn't provide. He and Jimmy barely managed for themselves. All he could ever offer Angie was himself. It should be enough. Her reaction told him it might not be.

He pondered on this while he ate noodles from a plastic cup inside his tiny room. It was hella depressing, so he decided to think about something more exciting. Like Mizrelle. That French chick was here on some sort of exchange program. It made him weary. He was sick of older women. Bella had been even older than Jimmy and had fortunately graduated and moved the hell away from them.

A sick, twisted curiosity caught hold of him. He'd never asked, because Jimmy had made it pretty clear that the subject was dead, but Tom wondered what had happened. Had Jimmy faced his girlfriend one last time? Had he yelled at her, officially broken up with her? Or had he just waited it out until she left his life?

He couldn't have let it slide. If he were Jimmy, he would've given her hell. Something to remember. But Jimmy wasn't him. Fortunately.

With a groan, Tom dropped his noodle cup and leaned back in the chair. Bella was a worse subject than Angie. He should be focusing on Mizrelle. Because that woman actually had something interesting to say. Like that she was part of a fraternity. An underground organization for people who had nowhere to go. They looked after each other, they provided for each other and made the streets their home. Which will be his case come August thirteenth. He'd be kicked out and he and Jimmy would just have to sleep in the park or something.

Mizrelle offered a solution. She wouldn't say much about it yet, but these fraternity people probably had some shelter. And food. It was all he ever wanted. There were a few snags. Like how he didn't have enough information yet, or how it might interfere with college. But she'd promised to tell him more, and he was more than willing to listen. Then, he'd make an informed decision like the responsible almost-adult he was.

Jimmy's signature knock on the window had him hurrying to open it up. His brother crawled through, looking utterly exhausted. He wasn't in uniform today, only wore jeans and a t-shirt, but it was his day off. He'd been to martial arts training. He did have a tournament in a few days.

"I'm starting to get out of shape," Jimmy mumbled, dropping on the bed.

"You're kidding. I think you're the least out of shape person on this planet."

Jimmy smirked. "No, that's you. How was your day?"

"Eh, pretty good, I guess."

His brother wasn't fooled. He scanned Tom through narrowed eyes. "You have something on your mind. Spill."

Nope, he wasn't asking about Bella and he wouldn't mention Mizrelle until he learned more about what she offered. He wouldn't fill Jimmy with false hope. Which only left Angie. She was the main thing on his mind anyway.

"I sort of found a dance partner for the competition."

"That's great." But Jimmy's excitement turned into suspicion almost right away. "Is it that dumb blonde you were going out with? What was her name again?"

"Ugh, no." Gina did the bimbo swing and that was about it. "Someone new. Her name is Angie and we've been studying together for a while."

Jimmy raised his eyebrows and folded his hands behind his head. "A new girl, huh? Interesting."