Chapter Five

I skip out on breakfast and go outside before my brothers. I need to be out in the cool air in order to stay awake. I fell asleep at three in the morning only to wake up three hours later. In short, I'm exhausted. What a way to start the week.

"You didn't eat?" Diego asks, surprising me. I turn around to see him resting against his motorcycle in the driveway. My eyes fall on the helmet under his arm.

"You're taking your motorcycle?" I ask, disregarding his question.

"You didn't answer my question," he answers instead.

"I can say the same about you," I respond as I approach him at a sloth-like pace. I fight off a yawn as I stare at him.

"Well, I think the answer to your question is pretty obvious," he replies as he looks at his bike.

"I had cereal," I reply, not bothering to tell him that I took two bites before putting it in the sink. I avert my gaze to the motorcycle a few feet away. "My mom's letting you drive it?" Not too long ago she was preaching to me about how unsafe motorcycles are.

"She said I could as long as I wear my helmet." The last part of his response sounds a bit mocking but I don't bother to comment on it. I stare at the helmet in his hand, wondering exactly how safe the bike is. When he sees my concerned grin, his eyes seem to light up. "Want to ride it with me?"

"What?" I gasp with wide eyes. Do I look crazy? I mean, I'm all for a little teenage rebellion but I'm not getting on that thing.

"Are you scared?" he taunts, leaning forward a bit. His eyes flit between both of mine and I stare into them, noting the excitement at the simple mention of something wild and reckless.

"No..." I lie and his smirk widens.

"Yes you are," he announces and I smell the mint from his breath. "It's not all that scary, you know, unless I try to ride as close to the edge of the cliffs as I can." He seems to get a kick out of the genuine fear that comes over my face. I can't help it. That's dangerous! "And sometimes...I try to see how I long I can go without using my hands." My voice is lost in my throat as he tips his head back and laughs.

"You don't actually do any of those things, right?" I assure quietly and he wears his usual smirk as he chuckles.

"Not often..." he trails and I'm pretty sure I look horrified.

I don't know what else to say as I watch him pull keys from his pocket. He mounts the bike, starts it, and rolls his eyes as he places the helmet on his head. Giving me a thumbs up, he pulls out of the driveway and disappears down the street as he gains speed.

In the car, my brothers discuss the game they'll be attending after school in excited voices. I'm sure that if our ride was longer than five minutes, I'd have gotten out and walked to school just to avoid listening to them babble happily. I manage to endure it though. Upon our arrival, I try to subtly look for the motorcycle that had left only moments before us.

"He's over there," Nate blurts from beside me and I look at my younger brother. Wearing a mischievous grin, he nods in the direction of a small collection of people. They're standing a few feet away from the school's entrance. There are two guys and one girl on either side of Diego. I scan them curiously.

The guy to his left is wearing black jeans and a grey t-shirt. I note the fact that he doesn't even have a sweater on even though it's particularly chilly for a September afternoon. His hands are shoved deep in his pockets as he bounces on his feet in a failed attempt to fight off the cold. His brown, curly hair flies in the wind as he laughs at something someone says.