I Became Distracted (Rogers x reader)

Avengers movie night was one of your favorite nights of the week, when everyone could just hang out and relax with the standing rule that no business talk was allowed. Tony always had first choice of watch you would watch, his reasoning being that he owned the place, literally, but the second choice of movie usually never came; the team was normally so exhausted that they retired to bed as soon as the first was done. Tonight was no exception, but you decided to wait for Steve, your energetic boyfriend who never seemed to tire, so that he could carry you upstairs rather than having to walk.

"Steeeve," you whined unapologetically, "can we go?"

"You've got two legs."

"Hey," you gasped, "that's mean! Just for that, I think you should carry me."

"Oh, okay, because that wasn't already your intent before I said anything?"

"Please," you finally pouted, "I'm so tired."

Steve's eyes widened and a smile grew at the sight of you, making him jump up from his seat with a hand extended to stop you from moving. "Stay just like that! I have to draw this." He jogged into his office and dug around in his desk until finding a few blank sheets of sketch paper and his pencils, returning quickly to take a seat at just the right viewing angle. "Hey, you didn't hold it."

"You're ridiculous."

"Come on! It was adorable! Do it again, I'll draw fast." He leaned back in his chair and brought up his leg to rest the papers against it, waiting patiently for you to relent and to let him get his way. "If you let me do this, I'll carry you upstairs every night for the next week."

"Month."

"Month," he nodded readily, "deal. Now pout."

"Fine," you groaned, appeasing him with what he wanted. If you were going to have to lie here for who knows how long, even with his promise to draw fast, you made sure you were going to be comfortable, using every pillow and blanket that you could reach to cocoon yourself in warmth.

The last thing that you remember seeing was the smirk he was giving you, just before you fell asleep while he kept working. You weren't sleeping heavily and could still hear the occasional scratch of pencil over the fibers on the paper, and the sound of his breathing being disrupted by the rare yawn. Hopefully he had been wise enough to draw your face first, because this hazy dream state was so satisfying that you weren't about to open your eyes any time soon, much less to hold the pout that he was so intent on capturing.

"(Y/N)?"

"Babe, wake up."

"What, Steve?"

"I'm done."

"With what?"

He reached down and pulled the blanket away that had been covering your head and shielding you from the lights of the living room, chuckling quietly at the hiss of annoyance from you and the failure of trying to grab it away from him. "I'm done with my drawing. You wanna see it?"

"I'm sure it's lovely, Steve," you yawned, "but if you're done, it means you have a payment to make." Kicking away the remainder of the blanket, you lifted your arms expectantly for him to pick you up, but the movement never came. You opened one eye slowly, then the other, but rather than seeing his face, you saw your own as he held his picture so close to you that you could see nothing else.

"You like it?"

"Not so close, doofus, it's all blurry." Gently taking the picture from his hands, you held it out to see the details, sitting up to get a better view and better light. Even for working fast, the intricacies and subtle elements within the drawing were remarkable, and you couldn't help but feel a swell of pride in your heart for how talented he was. You were just about to hand it back to him when one small detail caught your eye. "What's this?"

Steve took the paper from you and smiled immediately, taking a few steps back before admitting what he had done. "Well, I like to make sure that my work is based in realism, and that's...when you started to drool."

"You are such an ass!"

"You fell asleep!"

"Give me that!" you jumped up with a sudden rush of energy.

"Nope! Not gonna happen!" he laughed, holding it high over his head when you started to jump up to grab it. "Sorry, doll, you're gonna have to do better than that!" When you stood on the back of the couch to use as an advantage and you had actually almost caught the paper from him, he took off running up the stairs towards your room with a giddy laugh, turning every few feet to taunt you along.

"Steve, come on!"

He pushed ahead and ran into your room, still waving the drawing your way, even as you caught up and jumped on him, making him catch you in his arms. He let your target drop to the ground next to you when you both toppled onto the floor in a heap of yelps and laughter.

"You move pretty fast for being too tired to walk up here for bed in the first place," he smirked.

"Hey!" you gasped in revelation. "I got distracted! You were supposed to carry me! That was the deal!"

"Yeah, and the deal was a month, so it looks like we've got one night down, twenty-nine to go! I think I'm coming out ahead in this one." He stretched his arm out and just barely reached the drawing with the tips of his fingers, again waving it just out of your reach with a renewed laughter, "oh, you look so angry now, doll! Wait! Hold on just like that, I need to draw this too!"