The Attack

I wanted to drift off before I sensed someone approaching. They were still too far away for me to sense exactly who it was, but I assumed it to be Steve and sat myself back up. I lifted a hand to the back and pried the hatch open. It lowered hesitantly, but dropped down with the more force I gave. I pulled Natasha's small frame into a chair and strapped her in. I attempted to do the same to Sam, but ended up dragging him across the floor. I hurried back to the front seat and awaited Steve.

I sensed footsteps before I could actually hear them. They were heavy footsteps, matching a body as weighted as Steve's. His presence was much calmer than what I expected it to be.

I leaned forward and tried to peer out of the slightly cracked glass in front of me. I couldn't see Steve, but gradually was able to hear him more and more. He was getting close-

Oh no. No. No, no.

That's not Steve.

"Natasha!" I squealed quietly, trying to shake her awake.

"Sam, wake up! Wake up!" I rattled Sam's shoulders.

"Please help me-" I cried, trying to jolt either one of them back to consciousness.

The looming dark figure stood in the lowered corridor of the quinjet. Long hair scraping his buff shoulders, thick thighs standing in a prominent stance.

I turned to him slowly and faced him. My chest was so tight that there was no way for me to even breathe. My heart was contracting at such small intervals it was going to tire out any second.

Both Buckys were with me. My kind, sweet Bucky was wrapped around me, in the form of his sweatshirt of course. Then there was literal Bucky, glaring at me with a deadpan emotion.

"Bucky-"

"Shut up," he demanded, reaching for his gun.

I held my hand out and stopped him from moving any further. He tried to budge out of my control but I forced harder and harder until he froze. He stood motionless, trying to figure out the easiest way to kill me.

'Bucky let me help you-'

"Get out of my head!" he screamed.

'Bucky, it's me, Darby'

"I don't know you! Shut up!"

'How can I shut up when I'm not talking?' I joked, seeing if I could evoke any humor out of him.

"Stop it now!" he writhed in the air, trying to break free from my hold.

'Bucky, listen to me. This is not you. I can see in your head and they've got their hands on you. Hydra has messed you up so badly and I just want to help you'

He hesitated and didn't break eye contact. His bright blue eyes that teemed with hope and wisdom had deepened into two dark pools of hatred and confusion. He shook himself out of his own head and attempted to break free again. He started getting angrier, furiously thrashing his arms to his sides. Healing Sam before dampened my abilities and I couldn't hold him much longer.

'Bucky, please stop. I'm your friend."

He violently waved his arms and broke himself from my bonds. I sighed deeply and dropped to the floor. He stomped over to me and lifted me with his metal arm. His hand was wrapped around my neck as he raised me off the ground with ease. My throat tightened and my hands started to feel numb.

"Bucky," I groaned, "please."

"My name is not Bucky!" he screamed, throwing me onto the floor, across the corridor.

I struggled to stand up, balancing myself against the wall. He kept stomping towards with me with no hesitation.

"Don't make me do this," I pleaded.

He wasn't stopping.

"Stop Bucky," I now sternly protested.

His hips swished and turned, reaching a hand out for my neck once again. The moment his flesh melded with mine, my skin grew hot and my hands clenched. I forced out every last bit of energy I had and heaved it against him. He shot back and hit the clunky, hard metal wall behind him. Bucky slammed against it loudly and slid to the ground with a heavy thud, hitting the railing that trimmed the wall on the way down.

I rushed towards him and squatted down beside his body. He fidgeted for awhile before going limp in front of me. I laid my hands over his chest and tugged at his shirt.

"Bucky? Bucky?!" I cried, trying to shake him awake.

Nothing.

"Oh god," I wept, gripping his hand and rocking back and forth, "not you too."

A wisp of red caught my attention out of the corner of my eyes. That wisp soon turned into a pool, gradually running away from its origin.

"Oh my god!" I squealed, weakly crawling towards the rush of blood exerting itself from Bucky's head. I examined every inch of the wound and ran my fingers through his hair, which was starting to mat with dried blood.

I held my hand out as fast as I could, but there was no use. I had no more energy left. I used it all to force him off me, and now this is what it comes to. Bucky is going to die because I was too scared to train. He's going to die because I'm too weak, and it's all my fault. All mine. I vowed to keep Bucky from getting hurt like the rest, but as fast as I promised it, I broke it.

I wobbled up and reached for some sort of cloth, anything would be better than nothing. I found one of Steve's extremely form-fitting, white tee shirts on the other side, so I snatched it and wobbled back. I plopped down next to Bucky's head and wrapped as much material as I could around him.

Silent streams of tears flushed down my cheeks and my face turned bright red, although I felt so pale that you might have been able to see right through me. My hand quivered as I rested it on top of his chest. I felt the slow inhales and exhales of his chest. I mirrored him and slowed my breathing to match his, as we liked to do when I got scared. I watched as it got slower and slower, to point that I couldn't keep up with him anymore.

'I'm so sorry Bucky'

Hey!! Thank you for reading, and I can't wait to post more parts! Please vote and comment and tell me how you like it! Thanks!! :))))