PROLOGUE

“Do it for us, princess.”

            The twelve-year-old looked up to her mother, her eyes teary. “But I do not intend on leaving you here.”

            “Oh, but you must. For me, for the kingdom, and definitely for yourself.” The queen’s bright green eyes mirrored the girl’s. Only then it dawned upon her that running away was the only option.  

            Just hours before that very moment, it was announced that the girl, Princess Amanda Ann Roosevelt of Andorra, was to leave Andorra whilst her kingdom restores itself economically. In all honesty, Princess Amanda knew she would have to take responsibility as a princess if any problem were to arise. She had just not prepared it to be so soon. Nor was she prepared to leave her kingdom at such a young age.

            “My dear, did you hear me?”

            Her mother’s wary voice broke all thoughts that were screaming inside her head. The princess glanced up and took in her mother’s expression. The queen looked tired, probably from all the worrying. It was not her to blame though, the princess had thought, for any queen would have opposed to the idea of their daughter being sent out of the castle due to any reason at all.

            Andorra was having an economic breakdown. There seems to be quite a serious case of unemployment and lack of money and crops all across the kingdom. The kingdom was in a scam. It was devastating, especially for the royal family. Given their only option, the King and Queen came to a conclusion to send their daughter off to remove any possible problems or dangers from arising. Of course, little Princess Amanda was too young to comprehend that yet. All she knew was that she had to leave.

            “Amanda, oh good Lord, please answer me. You have gone quiet for far too long.” Once again, her mother’s voice brought her back to the real world.

            “I heard you fairly well, mother.” Princess Amanda’s voice was low. She did not trust herself to speak in a normal tone, as she was far too distracted in her thoughts to even move properly.

            “Did you listen to what I said?”

            Princess Amanda dipped her head low in slight embarrassment while she shook her head. The queen let out an audible sigh.

            “May I repeat this just once more; you are to leave tonight, and head to where our distant relatives live. They will take care of you whilst you are there, my darling.” The princess frowned. Were not all her relatives in the castle?  “You will have to leave Andorra, until your father and I solve our little problem. It will not be long, I promise you.”

            The princess stayed quiet, unable to think correctly. So many things happened in one day, it was impossible to stay sane.

            “You will have to leave tonight, do you comprehend?” Seeing no other choice, the young princess nodded slowly. “Everything will be all right, my daughter. Sometimes, change is good.”

            The princess shook her head, mumbling, “That’s absurd, mother.” She had always wanted everything to stay the same; of course it never does.

            When Princess Amanda thought about entering new uncharted territory, some place unknown, it always came with the idea that she must forge ahead and that is true to some degree. However, forging ahead she have to look back to understand what she might be leaving behind; and it can be scary because what she was leaving behind are often blind spots. Things she would want to ignore or could not even see that could stop her from her journey forward. At some point, she would have to let go of the past and stop looking behind and embrace what comes next.

            That night, as the princess sneaked out the castle, by a secret pathway, she had looked back to reminisce the last slipping moment of her royal life. From then on, she would no longer be a princess. Just Amanda. Perhaps, life would be easier without all the rules and whatnot. She could maybe finally run around the grass without worrying about her dress getting dirty, or her crown falling off. Perhaps the queen was right, sometimes, change was good.