Chapter 1

Chapter one. Introduction.

Gabriella in the picture.

Gabriella's Pov.

''Alex I'm back!'' I exclaimed as I made my way inside our small apartment.

My brother jumped up as he heard my voice. His green eyes sparkled with anger as he brought his hand up to his mouth, signaling that Dina was sleeping. He was angry at me but I could see the relief as he saw me. He motioned for us to get out.

"For the love of everything holly where the fuck have you been, Gabriella?" He shouted at me the second we were out. My brothers anger was excused. He had every right to be angry at me.

''I got you guys something'' I answered, ignoring his outburst.

''Did you hear anything I just told you? Or I am talking to a wall?!'' he raised his voice once again.

''Yes, I heard you but as you see I chose to ignore it'' I answered calmly. He clenched his jaw as he tried to calm himself down.

"What did you get?" He asked after a minute.

I reached out for my pocket feeling the material of the paper and took out the money.

"Where did you get this?" He exclaimed in shock as he snatched it from my hands.

''Don't worry about it'' I answered.

''Gab, where did you get this much money?'' he asked sternly this time. I almost smiled at how much he reminded me of our father sometimes.

''And I told you not to worry about it. Besides it's not 'that' much it's only six houndred bucks" I shrugged it off.

''Don't worry about it? Last time I checked we were basically on the streets. I don't remember us winning the lottery and buying a yacht" He said sarcastically. I scoffed at my brothers outburst. We were both very alike. Both of us had inherited our mothers temper.

"You're a kid, Gabby. I get the money because it's my damn responsibility"

I knew why my brother was being so protective of me. He wanted to help in any way possible but I usually took the responsibility on myself. I have forbidden him to do what he was doing to get money for us. He was risking his life to keep us safe and I decided it was time to step up and do something myself.

I wouldn't see my brother purposely hurt himself to keep us safe.

''Stop this, Alex! I'm not a kid anymore. I have long lost the opportunity to be a kid just like you did. I am old enough for being able to do stuff by myself. I am tired of seeing you come home everyday bloodied and half dead. I am tired of sitting at home, wondering with what injury will you return with this time. I am trying to help! And matter of factly let me remind you that we are twins! and you being older by two minutes doesn't mean you're older!'' I exclaimed.

''I know, Gabbs. I know that it hurts you to see me that way. But honestly It's my job to take care of my sisters. I should be keeping you two safe" He exclaimed. Dad had asked him to take care of us and he had taken the plea too seriously.

"I know you want to help, but I don't want you to struggle anymore. I don't want to sit here while knowing that you are risking everything you have in order to bring some money for us. One of us has to stay here to take care of Dina and we don't have a choice." I said.

"And sitting here and not knowing in what god damned mess my sister is in this time doesn't really help the situation!" He finished for me.

"You've been helping us for a long time. It's my turn to do what has to be done" I whispered, making his fists clench in anger.

"Yes, but not by doing that!" He exclaimed in anger, making me look away.

"That's all I can do now. You know that technically I should be in my senior year of high-school right now" I said.

"Yes. But we both have the general knowledge of every university student. The home schooling we've had is enough for us to find a proper job" He insisted, making me chuckle.

"We can't be caught" I said, making him look down.

"Don't ever do this to me again" He said after a minute. I didn't know how to respond.

"I thought he had you again. I was loosing it already. I promised I'd keep you safe" He said. At the mention of him I felt my stomach drop.

"He'll never have me again" I promised as he wrapped his arms around mine.

''Gawby?'' I heard a small voice ask, making me turn away instantly. My sister was the exact spitting image of me. Her beautiful green eyes sparkled as she ran a hand through her long curly brown hair.

''Hey, Din-Din'' I whispered as I opened my arms for her to run. She ran towards me, hugging me tightly. I felt her sniff, so I let go to see her crying.

''Why are you crying, baby?'' I asked worry evident in my voice.

''I just missed you Gabbya, I thought she left us'' she cried.

" I would never leave you okay? who told you that?" I exclaimed.

''N..No one I just...I ..Axxy was sad, so I thought you left us'' she sniffed wiping her tears.

''Din, Gaby would never leave us! don't worry!" Alex told her.

She nodded slowly and smiled but then started coughing. I looked over at Alex, and he had the same look on his face as me. I looked back at Dina who was still coughing clutching the teddy bear tightly for support.

''Oh my God Dina! breathe! you know how to do it just breathe in and out!" exclaimed.

She tried but failed coughing harder.

''Baby girl look at me, or Gaby and relax! try to breath ok?'' Alex exclaimed.

She looked at me, and slowly started to breathe in and out as we were telling her. Soon she calmed down and fell asleep in my hand's after I hummed a little song for her.

I looked at Alex and tried to hold my tears .'' It's getting worse Al!"

He shook his head angrily. ''I know''

''A..Al we have to do something! we have to take her to the hospital!'' I exclaimed.

''Gabriella we can't! you know what will happen, they will easily find us!''

''I know, but I don't care! my sister is more important!''

''Of course, she is! but you are important too! if we go there they will find you! or they will find us!.''

'' You haven't eaten anything properly for two weeks already. You gave everything to Dina or me. You've lost a lot of weight. You almost are never 'home'. You are alway's out in this cold weather! You don't take care of yourself at all'' he said angrily.

I just shook my head. How could he still talk to me when Dina wasn't feeling well.

''Ok imagine we take her there! we need money, and more money than 500 euro's, we need probably couple of thousand of them!'' he said calmly.

''I'll get them don't worry about it'' I answered gladly of the change of the subject.

''No! you won't I don't want you getting in trouble, we can always call dad'' he said unsure of himself.

''No! are you stupid? we can't call dad! he told us to run! they will find us! we can't contact him now!'' I exclaimed.

''But we have no choice!'' he whispered.

''We alway's had a choice!'' I said turning away and running.