What started as a good day

Emmalyn POV

"Good game. We all did well." Jack says as we all relax on the sand. Unfortunately, we lost our game. The opposing team was scarily skilled, like professionals. Regardless, we all played to the best of our abilities. He suddenly sits upright, "Emma, we were planning to go out later. Want to come?"

I look at Alex, who is beside me. "Thanks, but I think I will pass." I wanted to hang out with Alex. Plus, I wasn't able to relax with Zach here. I glance at his direction momentarily. He is talking to Ben, appearing carefree and amiable.

"Are you sure? It will be fun." Laura pouts. Even though they look like such a nice group, I cannot just hang out with them. First, they are much older. Second, I just met them. Third, Zach is here making me feel on edge.

"I'm sure. Have fun," I urge. They get off the sand, wiping the sand off their clothes. I do the same.

"Alright then. It was a pleasure to meet you Emma." Leslie nods, giving me a brief hug. Laura grabs me and gives me a bear hug. She whispers, "Have fun with your boyfriend!"

"He's not my boyfriend." I automatically correct her.

"Yet." She winks, skipping off with the rest of the group. They all say their goodbyes and walk off. I let out a sigh of relief when I realize Zach is leaving without a word.

"I finally get you all by myself." Alex groans quietly.

"Excuse me?" I face him, not sure if I heard him right.

"I didn't say anything," he casually denies, wrapping his arm around my shoulder. "What's up with you and Zach?"

"Nothing." I shrug, looking away from him. "Why? You jealous?" I smirk at him, covering up my nervousness. Was it that obvious? I thought I managed to pull off my facade rather well. I guess not. I carefully look at Alex. He is more perspective than I give him credit.

He seems indecisive, struggling to say what he is thinking. "I notice you act different around him than with the others. And he stares at you once in a while..." He shakes his head. "Never mind, forget I said this."

"Do you want to grab something to eat?" I realize it's almost three. The game took a bit longer than I expected. My not-so-subtle attempt to change the subject needs working on. Alex know, but he realizes I am not about to open and spill my secrets to him.

"How about I bring you to Cafe In Counter?" He smiles. Chance in Counter, where my god mom works. And Sunny and the guys go to the cafe a lot too. Nope, that won't be a good thing. Alex must have read something off my face, for he says, "How about The Burger?"

"Sure. I've never been there, but I hear it has the best burgers in the city." It sounds like a good place to eat. A lot of people at school have said it is delicious. I don't think Sunny eats there often anyways.

"It is. Their burgers are the best." Alex agrees. We gather up our stuff and pack it into his car.

**********
"I can't believe you did that!" I was currently retelling a prank that Jason and I did.

"Actually, Jason was the one who did it. It was my idea though." I smirk. Last year on the last day of school, Jason and I pulled a very minor prank. It's just a tiny, harmless gift to the school. The night before, the guys, Jason, and I went to school to set up the contraptions. It took a while, since we had to avoid the surveillance cameras. In the end, it was worth it. We had simply filled up as many lockers as we could with bouncy, rubber balls. Let's just say everyone was very surprised when hundred of colorful balls suddenly poured out of nowhere in the hallways. The greatest part was that nobody got caught, though a lot of us had to clean it up. Still, it was fun.

"Still, that does not top what I have done." Alex challenges me. I simply laugh at him, shaking my head. It's weird, but I feel comfortable with him. Plus, we never seem to run out of things to say or do.

"And what did you do, oh Mr. Alexannon?" I tease. To be honest, I think he has done many pranks that have trumped this one.

"Hmm, there are many..." He trails off smirking.

"Oh shoot! Look what time it is! It's almost 8! Time passes by so fast." I frown a little. I was having such a great time with Alex. We finished eating a while ago, but we just sat here and chatted.

"Yeah, let's go," he nudges me. "Man, I didn't think we talked that long. Wow. I'll finish up on the way back to your house." We walk back to his car.

As we get nearer to my house, I remember Jason's warning about Alex. "Hey Alex? It's fine if you drop me off here."

"Here? We are a block away. It's dark too." He keeps going.

"Yeah, but your car is easy to spot. Jason will easily tell it's yours. I would rather not have to argue with him." I sigh. "Plus, I am well-trained in self-defense. You don't need to worry about me. We are only half a block away now." I look outside the window. It does look scary since the trees are creating dark shadows. However, I'm fine. I am close to my house; I shouldn't have any problems right?

Alex mulls over whether or not to drop me off here. I think he wants to be a gentleman. Not wanting to wait too long, I say, "Today was fun! Let's do it again. I'll see you next time. I'll text you too once I get home." I climb out of the car and wave goodbye before he can say anything. I think he is about to call me, but I turn around the corner. I must be such a terrible person/friend, but I really don't want to argue with Jason. Besides, it's a short walk to my house. Nothing bad could happen in five minutes?

As soon as I am alone, I feel scared. I can spot my house rather easily, but it doesn't get rid of my tension in my body. Today just seems off. Was that something lurking in the shadows, or was it merely a shadow? I shiver, pulling my jacket tighter and quickening my steps. I must be overreacting. It's reasonable. I make it to my side gate rather swiftly, ignoring the chills that are making me fidget more. The side gate is a lot closer to my room, but is hidden behind a beautiful huge tree. I only found it when I was exploring the house one day. The tree looked magnificent during daylight. However, at night it looked creepy and foreboding. I usually don't think twice about the tree, but today it freaks me out. I am about to pull out my keys when I feel a presence behind me. Acting on instinct, I turn abruptly to face the person, holding the keys in between my fingers as I swing for a punch.

Imagine my surprise when the person easily catches my fist, twists my arm behind my back,and takes out the keys. He is wearing a dark, black hoodie, which covers part of his face. I feel pain as he continues to hold my arm. I swing around and let out a roundhouse kick, aiming for his head. I can feel the adrenaline pumping in my veins. Well, flight is out of the question. Judging by his skill, he will easily get me. Once again, the guy easily blocks me, using his arm to take the kick. My kicks are my best; I have overpowered even some guys in my gym. I watch him carefully, trying to see what he will do next. Who is this guy?

"Who are you?" My voice comes out shaking, rather than strong. I curse inwardly. Never once have I been this weak. I've always been the confident, happy girl. Wait, I have experienced this fear before, a fear so potent it feels like ice is covering my body. It couldn't be him. It couldn't.

The guy simply stares at me, chuckling under his breath. Hearing his chuckles, I feel like my limbs are frozen and numb. What type of person chuckles at night? Oh God, is he a rapist or a murderer? I'm in front of my own house! I'm only five steps away! Without my key though, I am stuck. I still need to go all the way around if I want to enter through the front or back gates. I curse my stupidity. I observe his behavior; he is in a relaxed stance, though I know he is on full alert. What does he want with me? I haven't don't anything to piss anyone off, nor have I done anything to gain attention. At least I think so. Then again, some serial killers don't have an agenda-they just like to kill. I gulp; I will fight tooth and nail if I have to.

"What do you want with me?" I keep watching him carefully. Once again, he fails to respond. Suddenly, he strikes out, hitting me in the head. I am barely able to dodge, feeling his fist skinning me instead. The impact still throws me back and makes me feel off balanced. Shit! He is aiming to knock me out. He is also really strong. If that hit had landed, I would be knocked out. I need to be more on guard. I don't think he expected me to dodge the hit, but he unleashes more punches, aiming to knock me out. I barely block some. I lose count after the sixth punch. I am winded. He really is pounding hard. Does he feel no remorse? He lands a solid hook to my head, making me wince at the extreme pain. I begin to feel my body falling to the ground. Before I collide on the concrete, I am stopped. I realize two strong arms are holding onto me.

"It's not me who wants you. It's Boss," I can hear my attacker smirking as I fade out of consciousness. The voice sounds familiar. The words would have brought alarms to my head if only I wasn't so tired and beat up. Boss...that word repeats over and over.

************
I woke up to darkness, my body sore all over. I had a nasty headache too. I am going to find that guy and beat him up. No one messes with me. What happened? Oh yeah, I got beat up and kidnapped. Where am I? Why is it so dark? I am not blindfolded or tied up, so that's good. They aren't smart, leaving me untied. Still, it's too dark to see anything in here. I start checking my pockets. Coming up with nothing, I stomp my foot in frustration. I guess they are a little smart-taking away my cellphone.

I stand up slowly, crying out in pain as I feel each of the fresh bruises. I hold my hands in front of me. I try to feel around using my fingers. It feels like I am in a small closet. Aha, a doorknob. I turn it and find I am in a dimly lit hallway, a furnished hallway. What type of kidnapper leaves their victim untied and in an unlocked room? Eh, it's my luck. It looks like I am in someone's home. I see light shining from a crack under a door down the hall. I hear voices as I get closer.

"Did you need to rough her up so much?"

"She was fighting back."
That's my attacker! There wasn't any windows, so I couldn't see in. His voice still sounds so familiar.

"She's just a girl. How can you not handle one little girl?"

"You know as well as I do that she is not 'just a little girl.'"

"Yes, but Boss is...Wait, did you hear that?"
Did they just mention Boss?

I hear footsteps approaching me. Shoot, I didn't even make a sound! Where do I go? I look frantically side to side, the movement bringing pain to my head. Just as I move, the door opens. I wince as the light blinds my eyes momentarily. I shield my eyes from the brightness.

"Well, what do we have here?" Two guys near the door glance at me. I think they were the ones who were talking about me. What the? I feel like I am stabbed in the back as I look at my attacker. Trying not to dwell too much on the betrayal, I look away.

Crap. I find myself standing in front of a group of guys. They are all staring at me.

"This is Emmalyn Carter, Jason Carter's little sister." A voice says behind me, putting his hands on my shoulders. What is up with people always sneaking up behind me...

--------------------

Comment

Criticism

Vote

Who do you think the attacker is? Who is the person behind Emma?