XXXIX. Sonic the Hedgehog

"So, Sonic," Robin asked as we dashed after Slade. "I know you're the master of plans, so do you have one?"

"Actually, I do," I said, looking down at him. I was flying a few feet above him, and Beast Boy was a velociraptor screeching above the buildings. Mostly because it was funny. "You see, with the Chaos Emeralds, I can close whatever dimension Slade's trying to crack into. The Chaos Emeralds let me move objects through time and space. That should render him powerless for a while, especially while I'm this powerful."

"Sounds... complicated."

"And impossible?" I chuckled. "I should have enough power to help you guys finish this once and for all."

Robin was silent after that, which worried me. What if there was some part of him that actually liked having Slade in the city? Robin tried so hard to find out the mysteries around him; who was to say that he even wanted him away from people he could harm? Robin liked puzzles, and Slade was basically one giant puzzle, with extra puzzling puzzles on the side.

The cloud of dust had grown since I had been inside of it. It wasn't too much larger, but I wasn't sure what he was attempting to summon. I just had a feeling that it wasn't something cute and cuddly.

The dust swirled around us, and I could barely hear Beast Boy's yelling. Even I was having trouble getting through the cloud. I really needed Tails at the moment, but I had a feeling Slade wasn't going to wait for him to show up. Whatever was happening was going to happen very suddenly.

"What sort of evil things is Slade into, Robin?" I asked.

"Anything that has skill and can kill," Robin shared. "And hates what he hates."

"So... gods and demons?" I replied.

"If the Chaos Emeralds are capable of things like that, then yes. We probably don't stand a chance, and if we do, it'll be because of you."

I paused, looking at Robin. Was that praise? He didn't sound so sure, as if he was betting on a one-in-a-million chance lottery. Plus, I didn't feel all that sure. Robin sounded resigned, as if this sort of thing had happened before and they had lost. Or it had been so close that it ended as a draw. But, I had before finished off a giant lizard bent on destroying the planet. And a lot of Eggman's mechs.

"Okay, I gotta try something," I said, descending to the ground. "I have no idea if it'll work, but if it does, it'll be really cool."

Robin looked at me and frowned. "I don't think cool is what we're looking for right now."

"You're right. I meant mind-blowingly awesome."

He sighed. "Fine. What's the big idea?"

"I'm going to try and force some of the power of the Chaos Emeralds into you."

Robin paused, looking confused. "I don't know. How do you know I wouldn't blow up or something?"

I blinked. "I guess I hadn't thought of that. But I don't think the Emeralds have ever killed someone before. It's worth a try. Did I mention it would be super awesome? Sure, Super Robin doesn't sound as great as-"

"Okay, fine, just remember that we're running out of time!"

"Right!" I said, holding my hands out in front of me. "Just tell me if you feel like combusting."

Instead of blowing up, Robin began to glow. Instead of the golden color that burned around me, a sort of rainbow appeared around him, highlighting him against the grey of the dust cloud. I didn't know how strong he would be or if the Chaos Emeralds really helped until he was put to the test, however. After I summoned all the energy I could give up, my head started to spin, and Robin caught my arm before I could go too far.