Chapter 3

Finnick

"Are you sure you want to stop by for dinner?" I asked Annie nervously as I led her in deeper into the twist and turns of Fishmonger Town.

"Of course!" Annie answered lightly, nearly jumping up and down with excitement. "And you owe me for organizing your birthday party last week!"

A week ago, I had turned 14 and Annie had organized a party for me and my friends at her house just like I had organized her thirteenth birthday party at her house a month prior. Soon after, Annie had decided that since she had never met my family like I had met hers, it was due time.

Finally we reached one of the larger shacks that my family called home. It was made purely out of wood, only one story tall, painted a faded green and the door was painted a bright blue.

I pulled the door of my house open, the door creaking slightly. I was nervous about showing Annie my house. While Annie's house of two stories was made of bricks with warm carpets and elegant curtains, my house was an outhouse in comparison. Even though my family wasn't poor, we focused more of our money on having plenty of food and proper clothing for the weather rather than our house's appearance.

The door led straight into a small living room made up of two small couches, a small table, and the mandatory television the Capitol supplied. After that I led her into my family's kitchen that also had a small table. Normally the table only sat 5 people but I had told my parents Annie was coming beforehand, so they squeezed in another chair.

In the kitchen, 4 people were cooking. All of them had the same tan skin as me—the mark of fishermen and women. The two oldest, a man and a woman, were my parents. My mother had dark brown hair and dark green eyes, while my father was an older version of me with the same bronze hair except my father's eyes were a shade duller than my bright sea green eyes. The other two were my older brother and sister who had recently turned 19. The two of them—being twins—looked like the male and female versions of each other. Both of them had the same dark brown hair and dark green eyes as our mother.

When my mother spotted Annie, she rushed forward at once. "Hello, dear, I'm Finnick's mother, Eleonora."

Annie smiled timidly. "Hi... um... my name's Annie."

"Oh, dear, Finnick's told us so much about you!" My mother exclaimed and my cheeks instantly reddened.

"Oh, I brought bread," Annie told them, holding out the basket she had brought with her filled with warm rolls tinted green from the seaweed.

Soon after, my father introduced himself as did my brother and sister, Marco and Marina.

We all gathered around the table, taking our seats and eating a fresh Cod my father had caught that day with the bread Annie had brought.

"So, Annie, what do your parents do for a living?" My father asked, breaking the silence.

"Oh my family makes fishing nets." Annie explained timidly. "Perhaps you're familiar with them, 'Cresta's Fishing Nets'?"

"Oh yes," My father agreed lightly. "They're high quality nets. Expensive, but good."

Annie blushed slightly at the word expensive.

"You're twelve, right Annie?" Marina contributes, breaking the silence that had fallen.

"Thirteen, actually. I just turned thirteen," Annie correctly instantly.

"Well, Finnick," My mother announced, "You've definitely brought a beautiful girl here to meet us."

My brother and sister held back snickers as—not only Annie's cheeks turned red, but as did mine.

Annie

It was now two months before the Reapings for the 65th Hunger Games and Finnick and I decided that it was once again warm enough to go for a swim in the ocean.

"Finnick, keep up!" I sang out to Finnick who was several feet behind me.

"We're not all as good swimmers as you, Annie Cresta!" Finnick yelled back.

I decided to just float in water as I waited for Finnick to reach me. After about a minute he swam to a stop next to me.

"Took you long enough," I teased him with a smile.

"I bet I can hold my breath underwater longer!" Finnick announced as I turned to look at him.

"You're on!" I smirked. And we plunged under water.

We looked at each other, my hair floating around me. The world looked it had been tinted blue and FInnick's hair looked fluffy under the water. Soon after, I watched as Finnick began to run out of air and finally returned to the surface. A couple seconds later, I surfaced too.

"You're inhuman, Merchant Girl." Finnick announced, shaking his dripping bronze hair in my face.

A half in hour later, Finnick and I were now sat in the warm sun, letting the heat dry our clothes, my auburn hair dripping wet.

"I've decided something." I announced suddenly, coming out of my thoughts.

"What?" Finnick asked, raising his eyebrows.

"I mean..." I suddenly lost the confidence I had just previously had as his bright eyes stared questioningly at me, "Never mind, it's stupid."

"Tell me!" Finnick demanded with a laugh.

I fidgeted with my hair. "I was thinking that maybe I could teach you how to make nets in case you do get reaped."

A silence fell between us as Finnick contemplated my offer. "You would do that?"

I instantly nodded, blushing. "With the Games approaching I just...I get worried."

"Thanks Annie," Finnick answered. "but what about you?"

I shrugged, looking away. "We both know I wouldn't stand a chance."

Finnick shook his head, sending droplets of water flying. "No, you're a great swimmer!"

"When have you heard of a Victor who won because they were a good swimmer?" I asked with a frown.

"I won't lose you, Annie." Finnick told me seriously staring intently into my eyes. "You're-you're my best friend."

I smiled softly. "You're my best friend too." My sea green eyes sparkled, "You won't lose me if I don't lose you."

From the world of The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins