Chapter XLVII: Jacob's Point of View

"Annie, wake up," I whispered into her ear. "Come on, we've got somewhere to go before school."

"Jake, go away," she replied, shoving against me lightly.

"Come on, we've got somewhere to go," I repeated. She didn't answer. "I'll buy you a coffee," I tempted. She bolted upright. Never underestimate the power of a caffeine addiction.

"Get dressed," I said.

The air was cold this Wednesday morning, chilling even me a little. Still, Sam wanted me to check on Bella, make sure she was still human. And I had a few words for her leech lover. If they saw the bitch coming, the least they could've done was warn us. Not that we would warn them about any potential dangers, but we had human lives at stake. And weren't they all about protecting people?

Annie reemerged in baggy sweat pants, fleece lined boots, a tank top, and one of her tighter zip up sweaters. Her hair was piled in a messy circle on her head, her eyes still closed sleepily.

"Where are we going?" she asked as I buckled the helmet's strap together. She rested her cheek against my shoulder blade. "You know, you have a truck that would be so much more comfortable to sleep in." I just chuckled at her.

"This will wake you up," I replied. I could feel her eyes burning into my back. She just huffed as we sped off towards Forks High School. I swear, she had fallen asleep by the time we got to the parking lot.

"What are we doing here?" she grumbled.

"Sam wants me to make sure your sister is still human," I replied. She opened her mouth, but I cut her off.

"I know that your mother saw her, but I have to do this. Sam's orders." Her mouth snapped shut but quickly reopened. "You are here because I want make sure I have a distraction so I don't kill him here," I answered before she spoke.

"Why can't we just forget vampires for a day?" she sighed.

I unclipped the helmet and pulled it off, watching her hair tumble down with it. I pressed a little kiss to the corner of her mouth.

"Didn't we do pretty well at that the other night?" I recalled, only a breath away from her. "I mean, I don't remember thinking about a vampire at all." She blushed beet red and looked down her lap. And then she smiled.

"We're in public, Jake. So if you ever want to kiss me again, I suggest you focus on your Pack duties," she said, a fiery glint in her eyes that let me know she thought she'd won.

I shrugged. "I'll just collect later," I promised. She smiled again, still victorious. She was going to be the death of me and I was going to enjoy every moment of it. The sickly sweet smell smacked me in the nose, like that bubblegum medicine my mom used to give me when I was a kid. God that stuff was disgusting.

"Pack duties," I whispered, trying to remind myself. Annie just smirked.

"You've delivered your warning," the leech said quickly. What was he hiding?

"Your brother crossed the line, bloodsucker," I growled. Annie just sat still behind me, while Bella gasped.

"It was no man's land!" he insisted.

"What's going on?" Bella asked a little breathless.

"You didn't tell her?" I realized. That little undead asshole had taken her away from her home in the hopes of keeping her safe and hadn't even told her she was in danger. And he left her sister unprotected.

"My entire family was here to protect Rye-Anne," he said.

"It's Ryanne!" Annie shouted from behind me.