chapter twenty-six // burning fires in this room.

linley's pov

Everyone we pass eyes us up like we were the biggest group of freaks they had ever seen. Niall, Louis, Olivia and Alicia laugh as they sing loudly and obnoxiously, jumping around the place - an evident sign that the alcohol that they consumed has already worked it's way into their system. 

The rest of us hang back as we make our way through the festival grounds. We try to be as quick as possible, seeing the commotion we cause - especially the boys and Ed - as recognition is slapped onto the faces of those around us. 

Jonny and Kenzi had left a little over an hour ago to get ready for their show - that they reserved us front row seats for. With Jonny gone, that left me more time to sit and obsess over the words he had said to me; exactly what I didn't need. 

An insanely large crowd has formed in front of the stage, letting us know that the show is about to start at any moment. We all try to grab on to one another, to be sure that we don't lose a member of our group in the terrifying mosh pit of fans. Zayn fingers tangle within my own, causing heat to creep up my neck, heating my face with an embarrassing blush. 

People send us dirty looks as we push past them, making our way to the front of the crowd. This crowd is much rowdier and aggressive than the crowd that was there for Sable and I. So once we get to the front, it's damn near impossible to fit all of us, as the people behind us try their hardest to push to the front row. 

I can feel my heart pounding loudly in my chest as my anxiety begins to creep forward. I look around at everyone all around me, all much taller and larger than I, with wide, terrified eyes. With Zayn attached to my one hand, and Sable on my other, I cling to them desperately. 

Everyone else seems to be thoroughly enjoying the excitement of the mosh pit. Niall and Louis jump around, screaming and laughing like two stereotypical teenage boys pulsing with energy and liquor. Even Liam and his girlfriend seem to be enjoying themselves as they laugh to one another. 

Everyone seems to be feeding off of the energy of the crowd, besides myself. Perhaps I should have had a drink or two before coming. 

"Here," A deep, husky voice breathes into my ear, belonging to no one beside Zayn, of course. Goosebumps travel up the tip of my spine as he places his hands on my hips and puts his body between mine and the rest of the crowd. It's as if he's using himself as a shield to protect me. 

My body is pressed against the strong metal gates in front of me, digging in to my rib cage. If I couldn't feel the warmth of Zayn's body against my back, I don't think I could handle it. 

But before I even have time to think about how incredibly uncomfortable I am in this sticky, sweaty environment, the crowd starts to scream and cheer loudly. 

My eyes look up to see Jonny leading the rest of the band on stage, wearing that confident smile of his. Kenzi looks beyond happy as well as she stands beside Jonny only a few feet away from us. The two of them look down at our group, giving us a friendly smile.

And of course Jonny gives me a discreet wink, causing my mind to tangle itself into confusion once again.

 "Hello everyone!" Jonny says, adjusting the hat he's placed atop his head, "Thank you so much for coming! We're gonna make it worth your while," He wears that charming grin of his, making me smile in return. 

"Our first song we're going to play for you is called 'Let It Go'," Kenzi announces, causing the crowd to take their excitement and multiply it by a thousand, this being the song that really kick started their career. 

I try my best to keep my mind off of the crowd behind me as I cheer loudly, distracting myself with the music. But I can only do so much...

"We're from a little city with expensive taste,
where the cars don't burn 'til the engine breaks."