Chapter Forty Two

PINDAR. 08.13

It was but a short journey to the Situation Room for Anthony Rampling, but every step appeared to be harder, each stride shorter and slower than the one before. A morbid feeling of dread began chewing at the Prime Minister's stomach, along with a heavy depression settling like a leaden cloak over his shoulders. He looked and felt like shit, with his pounding headache so far proving resistant to the painkillers he'd taken. Anthony had to fight back the urge to burst into uncontrollable streams of tears, and more than anything else he felt an all over fatigued aching. Why did he bother? What had been the point if it all? he thought morosely. Granted his business career prior to his entering politics had been lacklustre, but perhaps he should have stayed the course there rather than taken the road which had led him here, the target of an assassination attempt such a close call he'd felt the wind of the passing bullet.

One of the two sentries outside opened the door for him. Rampling passed through and at the sight of him the lively discussion stopped. Anthony might have anticipated a round of congratulatory applause on resuming his office after the attempt on his life, but instead those seated around the cabinet table looked at him as if he were a pale, sweaty, uninvited gatecrasher at a party.

"Ah there you are, Prime Minister!" Stuart Pullman broke the silence. "We're all pleased to see you've recovered somewhat from your ordeal, but are you sure it's a good idea to get back to work so quickly?"

"I'm fine as you can see; now if you'd be so good as to vacate my seat..."

"Prime Minister, I really don't think that would be a good idea at present. It's obvious you're still suffering from the effects of what must have been quite a shock, and be assured we have the situation well in hand."

"My seat please." Rampling's temper began to rise.

"With respect Prime Minister." Pullman's tone had the warning growl of a dog preparing itself to bite. "I don't think you're in a fit state to resume your office. In fact I think the time has come for a change of leadership. The difficulties we're experiencing in coping with this disaster are a symptom of the malaise which has afflicted the nation in general up until now. At this time of crisis the government needs to respond in a new and vigorous manner: Don't you agree?" Stuart's gaze swept across the cabinet table. He could imagine how each member of the cabinet was interpreting his words, their indecisive minds churning; weighing whether or not to lend their support to his challenge. "We're going to face a difficult few months ahead of us at the very least. We'll need everyone to be able to give the very best of themselves, without exception." he continued pointedly.

Pullman felt utterly terrified, yet also strangely elated as he spoke. So this was the moment; it would be all or nothing. Destiny had tapped him on the shoulder; within the next few moments he would be proved the ultimate victor or have completely blown his chance. For a moment it seemed as if both Owen Walker and Pippa Slater were about to protest, but Stuart fixed them with a firm, assertive look; daring them to interrupt. Neither did; Slater without the support of her mentor appearing to shrink under his unblinking gaze.

Pullman was so nearly there. He all but had them now, the fact of him boldly assuming charge of the meeting unopposed the de-facto proof of the shift of power. All that needed to happen now was his position to be officially codified. He turned toward Anthony Rampling. "I propose a simple show of hands vote on the motion that I, as Deputy Prime Minister, assume all of the executive functions of the Prime Minister's office until such time as he has fully recovered his health."

"I second it." said Christopher Parsons.

"Very well then." Rampling sighed as his resolve finally crumbled. "I don't think there's any need to hold a vote. I've been considering for quite some time when might be the right moment to bring my political career to an end. It would appear that now, given the sudden worsening of my health problems, would be the opportune moment to hand on the baton to the next runner in the relay." He looked sternly at Pullman. "And so I'll announce my resignation just as soon as my office prepares a statement to that effect. As tradition dictates, I'll also inform His Majesty and arrange your formal introduction."