2:21

| THE STAND:CHAPTER TWENTY ONE |

| THE STAND:
CHAPTER TWENTY ONE |

"This is your solution? The heart of a dead werewolf?" Aya looked less than impressed at what Rhea, Marcel and Davina had presented to him.

"Well, not just any werewolf. Hayley's husband." Aya shook her head at Marcel's comment, clearing not seeing his point.

"We," Rhea gestured to the three of them, "Were at their wedding, his heart became one with hers."

Aya looked to Davina and Marcel for clarification, "She's right, I wouldn't be here if it wasn't going to work." Davina informed the vampire.

"I assume the grieving widow didn't just hand it over. Pray tell, how did you procure this little gem?" Aya questioned, the three were then hit with a wave of guilt— they had stolen Hayley's dead husbands heart.

"This is my city. Nothing happens in it without me knowing." Marcel boasted. Aya rolled her eyes before standing and walking over to Davina, handing the box to her before beginning to leave with the Sisters.

"You're welcome, Aya." Rhea called out sarcastically.

▽▲▽▲▽

MARSEILLE: 1002 AD

"Kol, what is wrong?" Rhea asked worriedly, he had snuck into her room in the middle of the night, waking her up and by the look on his face, it wasn't good.

"I'm leaving."

Those two words were enough to wake up the witch fully, she was instantly alert, "What?" They had planned to leave together soon, but judging by Kol's words, he was leaving without her.

He sighed, keeping his distance from her. This was hard enough as it is, he couldn't be close to her when he told her– he wouldn't be able to do what needed to be done.

"It's too dangerous, for me and my family. We have stayed far too long, it shan't be long until our father finds us.." Kol trailed off, not meeting her gaze.

Rhea narrowed her eyes, "That's not it, is it? There's something else. We planned to go together, after the wedding."

"I'm not good for you, my love. You deserve a man who can give you everything that I can't, you shall marry Tristan and I shall be a mere memory you'll soon forget in time." Rhea couldn't believe his words, this was not Kol, he was not being himself.

"Kol, you can't-" she choked on her own words, tears starting to fall from her eyes.

"I'm sorry. You have made me a better man, considering what I am, you made me feel like my old self. I can't let you live the life I lead, I cannot burden you with my family's demons. I'm doing the right thing here, Rhea. I'm letting you go." He told her truthfully, he didn't feel the need to tell her that Tristan had threatened to exposed both the Mikaelsons and the Monroes, should Rhea leave with them. Kol was doing what was safest for everyone, at the cost of his own happiness.