Chapter 25- OLD VERSION

It had been three weeks. 

 Three weeks since I had left. 

Three weeks since I had started school back in my hometown. 

Three weeks since I had heard from my friends and three weeks since I had heard a word from Kent. 

 "I can't wait for summer," My old best friend Rebecca, complained from where she walked beside me. We were walking home from school since we lived next door to each other and only lived a few blocks from school. "We are going to party so hard,"

 Rebecca pulled out her signature, shiny pink flask that was usually full of vodka. 

"Want a sip?" She held up her flask and i kindly rejected. Although I loved my friend, she was on the verge of alcoholism I think. "I decided to steal some tequila instead this morning," 

So she hadn't filled it with her normal vodka. All the more reason not to take a swig. As soon as Rebecca took a fat sip I could smell the burning alcohol. 

 "I think I need to get a job," I mentioned, trying not to focus too much on the strong scent of alcohol lingering around us like a cloud. 

 "Oh please, you have the rest of your life to work," Rebecca shoved the flask into my hand. "Live while you're young doll,"

 She gave me a wink and skipped off in front of me. Rebecca was a wild child, always has been and probably always will be too. That's why I loved her so much. I took a tiny sip of the tequila and nearly gagged. That was just nasty stuff. 

 "Such a baby," Rebecca tisked and snatched her flask, taking another hefty swig herself. I don't know how her small 120 pound stature could handle it. 

 "Hi girls," My mom called as we walked up to the front of our house. She was sweeping our porch and looked like she was having a good day so far. 

 "Hi Mrs. Michaels," Rebecca quickly hid her flask and continued walking towards her house. "Catch ya later Sadie!" 

 I entered our front yard through the white picket fence and up the stairs of our porch. 

 "You have a letter in the mail," My mom announced, not taking her eyes or attention from her precious flowers. 

 My heart skipped unexpectedly and I dropped my bag on the floor in the entry way and sprinted to the kitchen where my mom left all the mail on the counter. The address was from the school! The letter had to be from Kent! I ripped the envelope apart and hurried to unfold the letter so I could read all about what has been happening lately. But it wasn't from Kent. 

 It was from Charlie?

Dear Sadie,
         It hasn't been the same here since you've left, things just aren't as fun anymore. I have to say not seeing your face every day definitely dampens my mood. I hope you are doing well and adjusting to your old school. Truly this place is just not the same.
           Finals are coming up so things have been terribly busy around here. I'm sure you've gotten piles of letters from all your friends here, we all miss you very much. I hope to hear from you soon
Love, Charlie

I read the letter over again three more times until finally taking a seat at the kitchen table. Why had Charlie been able to write me a letter but Kent hadn't? With finals coming up I'm sure everyone is busy studying but if Charlie had the time to write me then Kent definitely should have too. 

 "Who's it from?" My mom asked as she entered the kitchen, startling me. 

"My friend Charlie," 

 "Was that the one you were kissing?" 

 "No, that was Kent," My mom raised her eyebrows at me in disapproval but didn't say anything. My head continued to spin with confusion while I made my way up to my room. 

Mom announced dinner would be ready in an hour sharp but I wasn't feeling too hungry. I made my way into my room and flopped onto my bed, Charlie's letter still clutched in one hand. 

I couldn't expect a phone call, my phone was still being held hostage by my mother and I couldn't bring myself to give Kent my home phone number. Still, I had written to Kent, multiple times. So, why hadn't I heard from him? There had to be a way to talk to Kent. 

  Maybe I wasn't as important or special as I had thought.

Kent- 

I crumpled up the fifth piece of paper so far and chucked it towards the trash can in the corner. I missed, again. 

 "What are you up to in here?" Charlie asked, letting himself into my room. I can say my room now since Sadie isn't here and honestly I didn't like it. Not one bit. 

 "Writing to Sadie," I grumbled, not in the mood to socialize right now.

 "Has she written you back yet?" He sat on the bed that used to be Sadie's and I had to fight the urge to kick him off. 

 "No, not yet," 

"And you're still writing her?" I turned to look at Charlie who only shrugged. "I'm just saying, maybe it's a waste of time if she still hasn't gotten back to you in three weeks man," 

I tried to ignore his words but I was already thinking that. 

Sadie hadn't responded to any of my letter and I had sent her three a week since she had left. Had I done something to upset her? 

"She's probably just busy trying to get caught up at her new school," I hope that was the case. If Sadie wasn't interested in me I wish she would've at least told me that. I continued writing while Charlie sat on Sadie's old bed and stared at me. 

 "I'm sorry she's doing this to you," Charlie suddenly blurted. 

 "What do you mean?" Charlie sighed and stood up slowly, shoving his hands into his pockets. 

"Obviously Sadie has no feelings towards you since she can't even have the respect to write you back. Typical selfish girl for you,"

 What if Charlie was right? What if Sadie didn't have any feelings for me? It would make since then, that she hasn't written me back. Maybe she's found someone else already.

"You've been hanging around Missy, haven't you?" Charlie gave me a condescending look, leaning against my desk. 

"She's still pissed about her nose," Charlie admitted, not bothered that I would be upset about my best friend still hanging out with my ex. My ex who had created a lot of drama. 

I looked away from Charlie and back to the letter I had written. I couldn't keep hoping for something to happen, but I had to try at least one more time. 

 "I'll try one more letter at least," I tried to push the negative thoughts from my head but they weren't going anywhere. 

 "No harm in that, right?" Charlie patted me on the back with a smile on his face. "I can take that for you if you'd like? I'm heading towards the main building," 

 I folded the paper as neatly as I could and shoved it into an envelope. It wasn't a long letter, it was short, simple and to the point. I wanted to see Sadie, I had to see her. I didn't care if she lived three or fours hours away. 

 "That would be awesome, thanks man," I made sure the address, return address and stamp were in the right place before handing over the letter to Charlie. "Seriously, I owe you," 

"Don't worry about it," Charlie left the room and closed the door behind him, leaving me alone to pray that Sadie would write me back this time.