Chapter 20 - It's a surprise

We rarely seem to realise the luxury of something until we find ourselves deprived of it.

The warm sun on Evie's skin felt better than any massage she had ever had. She had eagerly devoured her breakfast of eggs and sourdough toast and was now leaning back in her chair with her eyes closed.

She sighed blissfully as another cloud passed, the sun's rays once again leaking through. She lazily stretched her stiff muscles like a cat waking from a long nap; she was so content that she had almost forgotten where she was.

During breakfast, she answered all of Branton's questions carefully. He seemed appalled by the fact that Rex had spent most of the night chasing her around the house. Even though she had decided to go along with Rex's story, she didn't exactly trust him. After weighing up her options, she decided that it was likely in her best interest to cooperate.

At least for now.

Branton had fallen silent and she could feel his eyes on her. She knew that he would consider this setting to be romantic. Perhaps, had the circumstances been different, it might have been. From what she had heard regarding the whole dating scene, most girls her age would adore this kind of treatment.

You know, minus the whole captivity situation.

Branton couldn't take his eyes off her. He was thrilled that she seemed so relaxed in his company. To him, this moment was perfect. It was exactly how he had pictured them together.

"Would you like some more juice?" He inquired.

Evie raised her head to look at him, her cheeks slightly flushed from the sun's heat. "I'm fine, thank you."

The trees swayed gently as a gust of wind passed by. She ran her hand through her hair, pushing her bangs out of her eyes, as a smile spread across her lips.

"It makes me happy to see you in such high spirits," he admitted.

She leaned forward so her face was under the shade of the umbrella. "I just love basking in the sun."

He nodded. "I know. If you weren't under your oak tree, you were lying peacefully on the small hill towards the back of campus."

Her stomach flipped at his attempt to bond with her. The only reason he knew this information was because he had been stalking her.

Taking a deep breath she composed herself. "I should apologise to you for being so ignorant. I didn't realise you cared about me in that way."

His hand slid across the table to gently touch hers. "Please don't apologise. I find your innocence very endearing." His hand lingered as he leaned forward. "It's one of the reasons I found you so intriguing."

His thumb started slowly rubbing her hand in tiny circles. His gentle touch felt affectionate and yet slightly suggestive.

She started fiddling with her hair. She couldn't believe he was speaking so openly about the fact that he had been stalking her.

Composing herself, she cleared her dry throat. "That's very sweet of you to say."

He smiled as he leaned back in his chair, his relaxed posture quite foreign to her.

"You seem relaxed." She pointed out.

"I am," he admitted. She was taken aback as his already handsome face casually morphed into a gorgeous smile. His hazel eyes locked onto her as small dimples stretched across his cheeks.

She had never seen this side of Branton before. He was genuinely happy.

"I can't tell you how happy you've made me, Evie. I knew that if I was patient, you would come to understand my feelings."