22| Deflection

Deflection: the ability to deflect the active powers of others.

This update goes to my readers who live in the US and are feeling down about the election and that stupid ass cunt. Stay strong my loves ❤️

Enjoy xx

t.m.

🔮🔮🔮

H.S. // 6 Man

  I bit my lip as I stared down at my phone while sitting in the car, waiting at the traffic signal. My thumb hovered over the call button near Sage's name. I regretted leaving in the morning without notifying her, I really did. Especially after I told her I would always stay with her. I couldn't imagine how she would have felt, waking up to an empty space on her bed after the incredible night we had. Once again, I felt a connection to her, and it wasn't just physical; it was more than that.

  This time I welcomed it without thinking too much, which was a grave mistake I made. It caused me to stay up all night pondering over how quickly I was falling for her. That was partially the reason why I left so abruptly. I wasn't thinking clearly, only wanting to leave immediately and seek advice from Maximus because I was panicking, a lot. When I can predict that something isn't going to go well in the future I tend to panic and turn into my 15 year old insecure self where I'd worry about my reputation and whether Colton was going to replace me with Maximus. It was that crippling anxiety that had me worried about egocentric things only.

  I sighed heavily, switching my phone off and making a mental note to call her another time, most probably after I talk to Max. After I had left in the morning, I decided to speak to Max later on in the day, and just go to the university to teach. I knew Sage would be there, but I made sure to avoid her as much as possible. I wanted to spend a day without her to see whether she really had me whipped or not. And she fucking did. I spent the entire day thinking about her, worrying about how she must've felt when she woke up this morning. It was enough confirmation that I had indeed fallen for her.

  I entered the mansion with a sour look on my face, heading straight up the stairs, ignoring all the calls and jeers from the other hunters in the living room. The bedroom door slammed shut behind me, my body immediately moving to flop down on the bed with a heavy sigh. I dug my hand into my pocket again, pulling out my phone and unlocking it above my face. Sage's contact details appeared on the screen and my thumb hovered near the call button. But I couldn't do it. I'd much rather talk to her and apologize in person than through text messaging or calling her.

  After freshening up in the bathroom, I exited it with a towel in my hand, wiping my face before I looked up, my gaze landing on a pile of drawings. I approached my desk, looking down at the drawings with a smile. They were of Sage, the ones I did yesterday night but couldn't finish. I decided to complete them in the mean time, after I had found out that Maximus was out doing something unknown to me.

  It was only until half way through midnight Maximus barged into my room with two boxes of pizza in his arms, a big grin stretching across his face. I cleared my des, tucking the drawings away before Max could ogle at them and tease me about them.

    "You seem happy," I commented, trudging over to where he was standing with the boxes laid out on my bed.

    "You make it sound like me being happy is something completely out of the ordinary," he responded, shoveling a slice of pizza into his open mouth before he plopped down on the bed.

   "It is," I shrugged, before sitting up against the headboard with a slice in my hand. "So, who'd you kill this time?"

   "I didn't kill anyone because that's just stupid, Harry. It would jeopardize your mission. It may be something you'd do if our places were reversed," Maximus scowled lightly, as I rolled my eyes.