Chapter 1: Bache Manor

• Dedicated to TNT

Pulling up the driveway, Bache Manor loomed ominously in the distance. As beautiful as its façade was, with tall, white pillars flanking the front portico, it was also sad. It was obvious it was in desperate need of some TLC.

"Oh, wow," Shannon said from the back seat.

"Yeah," Jenn agreed, slightly in awe. "Look at it."

"I told you this would be a good one," James reminded them as he pulled up to the front of the manor. "And there's Deb."

Deb was the woman who'd invited them to investigate the manor. She, along with her daughter, Traci, and husband, Dave, had been commissioned to clear it of the former owner's things. However, they'd not been able to do so, since their fear kept them from wanting to go inside.

"Hey, James," Deb called. "Glad you all could come."

"We're glad you asked us," James replied as he walked across the yard toward her.

"Honestly, we didn't know what else to do. It was either get your team out here to see what's going on or tell the bank to get someone else."

"Do you know any history on this place?" Chad asked, since he was the one who researched the history of locations they investigated. "I wasn't really able to find anything." He took a few pictures of the manor as he spoke.

"That's one of the strange things about this place," Deb explained. "Its history is not well documented, even though there are... well, you'll see once we get inside," she said with a knowing smile. "Anyway, due to the lack of documentation, not a lot is known about it or the past owners. However, there's a lot of things left inside, so you may be able to get some information from something he—Mr. Bache—left behind."

"So, he just up and left all his belongings?" James asked.

Deb nodded. "Clothes, pill bottles, and a lot of valuable things. There's even food in the fridge."

"Ew, I bet that smells nice," Shannon interjected.

"It's just one of the many odd things you'll find in there," Deb said.

"Okay, then," James said, "let us get some of our equipment and we'll meet you inside."

"And you're sure it's okay for us to be here?" Jenn asked, feeling uneasy.

"Oh, yeah," Deb assured them. "It's been turned over to the bank. We have full access to it while we clean everything out."

"You do plan on staying during the investigation, right?" Jenn questioned.

"Traci and I will be here. Dave had to leave."

"Okay, as long as one of you stays." Even with them staying, Jenn was hesitant. "You sure this is all legit?" she asked James once Deb walked away to go unlock the door.

"As far as I know. If not, we wouldn't be here."

Jenn and the team grabbed some of their hand-held equipment and started to head inside. "If you say so."

Despite her reluctance, she had to concede that the estate and its surroundings were quite remarkable. Aside from its desolate state, with spider webs blanketing the statues and landscaping that flanked the manor, it was breathtaking, sitting on several acres that were surrounded by a large lake.

"What the hell?" they all heard Chad say from around the back of the house.

"What?" Shannon yelled, heading to where he stood, just inside the back door—which was barely still hanging. "What did you do, break in?"