Six: Snow White likes Skittles

Walmart was a mess, as usual. Halloween was in two weeks so skeletons and pumpkins were lining the shelves.

     When we passed by the costume section, Sophia grabbed my hand and asked "Mommy, can I get my Halloween costume today?"

     "Don't you want me to make you one like I always do?" I asked in return. Every year I always make her a costume way better than one you could buy. Not to mention it's way more affordable.

     She shook her head and said, "But this year I want to be a certain person, so I need their clothes." She told me.

     "Who do you want to be?" Zack asked her, walking us over to the costume section.

     "Snow White!" Sophia jumped when she said her name.

     "What am I supposed to be? One of the dwarfs?" I asked her. I always let her pick what I am. But there is no way I'm dressing up as a dwarf.

     "I think you could pull of Grumpy," Zack said as he nudged me with his elbow.

     "Well, I think Sleazy fits you best." I retorted back, crossing my arms

     "That's not even a dwarf." Zack pointed out.

     "They saved the title just for you," I informed him, sending him a sarcastic smile.

     "Feisty." He mumbled where Sophia couldn't hear him.

     My sarcastic smile dropped to a serious glare. Why was I here with this douche again?

     "You can be Maid Marian," Sophia said, pulling me from Zack's stupid green eyes.

     "Who?" Zack questioned as he looked through the messy shelves.

     "The girl fox from Robin Hood, duh," Sophia told him. At least she isn't sassy just to me.

    Zack turned his head to me and raised an eyebrow. I rolled my eyes at him. Hasn't he ever seen the animated version?

     "Robin Hood is her favorite Disney movie." I clarified for him.

     He pursed his lips and nodded, going back to the princess display in front of him.

     "So can we get me a costume today? Please?" Sophia asked, pulling on my arm.

     "I don't know, sweetie. You know I don't have much money." I told her, squatting down to her level.

     It broke my heart to see her face fall. She's only four but understands we're essentially broke. I want to buy her a costume, but I just can't afford it. I also didn't need Zack knowing either. I feel like I wouldn't hear the end of it from him.

     "Okay," Sophia mumbled. Her eyes fell to the ground along with her frown.

     I stood up and grabbed her hand. Luckily, Zack didn't mention Sophia's sudden mood change as we left the costume aisle. 

     We walked with Zack as he grabbed whatever he needed. After grabbing soap, windshield wiper fluid, and a case of coke, we headed to the self check-out line.

     "Hey Tiny Tot, what candy do you like?" Zack asked Sophia as we waited.

     She lifted her head and said, "Skittles are my favorite."

     Zack grabbed a pack of skittles from the selection next to the check-out machine. He scanned the candy first and then handed them to Sophia.

     "Enjoy." He bluntly said as he scanned his other items.

     Sophia's eyes grew wide and a huge smile was planted on her face. She attached herself to Zack's leg and chanted "Thank you!" Over and over.