09| An Unwanted Explanation

Date Published: 29th March 2019.

Chapter Nine: An Unwanted Explanation

June 2018

Two bloody weeks.

Two weeks since her run-in with Ryan. And a week since she filed the police report.

And, no reply.

She was getting annoyed.

Why did no one believe her?

She dumped the clothes into the drier.

Treating the clothes with the same amount of vigor life seemed to be treating her with was the only way she could let out her frustration.

The doorbell of their apartment chimed.

It was probably Drake.

Drake was one of Jason's school friends. They went to a public school that was closer to their home-and where the textbooks were less expensive.

"It's open," she called. "Come on in,"

She heard the door open and close. She came out of the bathroom and dried her hands on her worn-out shirt.

"Why is your door unlocked? Do you know the crime rate in the neighbourhood is-"

Shock clogged her throat for three entire seconds.

Yes, she counted.

"Well, you're the first murderer to enter my house." She said. "Now get out,"

"May," he said, his voice calm. Reasonable.

"Do not May me." She snapped. "You know what, maybe it's a good idea you're here. Now I can just hand you over to the police."

"Just hear me out." He pleaded. "You need to listen to what I have to say."

"Another lie," she countered. "I don't need to listen to what you have to say,"

"Please, May." He said. "Its important. Just hear me out and then if you still want to call the cops and I'll go willingly,"

What if it was about Rosa?

Ugh.

"Fine. Whatever,"

She placed herself on the opposite end of her tattered brown sofa.

The less contact, the better.

"What is it?"

Her words held no emotion in them. That would probably be because her emotions had been caught up in the aftermath of a cyclone that kept moving, rendering her emotionless.

He had been so stupid. He realized he somehow had to take control of the situation or it spiral into something too horrible for him to handle.

"I-I don't know how to start," he confessed.

"How about," she drawled. "at the beginning?"

He grinned. "You've become feistier than before."

"Get out."

He immediately stood up.

Damnit. This wasn't how it was supposed to be.

"Look May, I'm sorry. This isn't how this conversation was supposed to go-damnit. I-this isn't-this is very difficult for me--"

"So you think this is easy for me?" she shouted.

"No of course not May. Please just--"

"I said get out."