Chapter 44: Questions

Dawn and I sat outside for what seemed like hours. Her questions at first seemed to me the normal type of questions people always ask. Favorite color, favorite animal, favorite Pokemon, favorite food.

But then they got a lot harder. "What did it feel like when your parents divorced?" 

We'd gone over that they had divorced, but not in detail. Still, I found it easy to tell her, to open up, compared to normal. "It was hard. I didn't know what was going on, but when one day your parents are together and then your dad moves out one night after a quick explanation of why, well, it just doesn't cut it." 

"And Reggie felt the same way?" 

I snorted. "Reggie was soothed more than I was. I was deemed too young to understand anyway. I understood that my dad was gone and Reggie was leaving too, leaving me with my mom who seemed to resent me. She never looked at me the same way after those papers were signed." 

"That must have been so hard." 

I shrugged. "It is what it is." 

"Do you still talk to your parents?" 

"No." 

"Reggie?" 

"Sometimes, though I don't like being around him. When he smiles it just makes me feel my mom staring at me with dislike again. In the past couple of years we have gotten along considerably better." 

Dawn frowned. "Your mom never disliked you, Paul. She disliked herself for what had happened." 

I sighed. "I don't believe you, but you're entitled to your own opinion." 

She moved on to another question. "Do you like the mountains or the beach better?" 

"That's a change of subject." I paused. "The mountains." 

"Why?" 

"Because the beach is full of people, which I try to avoid at all costs. I'm not a fan of sand and ocean water burning my eyes, Wingull stealing my food, or sunburn. Not to mention bathing suits. Mountains are quiet and tranquil- more my style." 

Dawn raised an eyebrow. "What's wrong with bathing suits?" 

"I'm not a fan of seeing people walk around on the beach practically naked. It seems like everyone's revealing themselves to each other." 

"So you don't approve of nude beaches?" 

"No." 

Dawn giggled. I rolled my eyes. 

"So, you'd never go to the beach with me?" Dawn teased. 

I frowned, picturing us there together. Dawn, probably pulling me along a boardwalk, wanting to win a Mudkip plush at a carnival game. Eating ice cream. Dragging me to the ocean water, her laughing and splashing around, in a bikini- 

My thoughts stopped again.  

"Earth to Paul, are you there?" Dawn waved a hand in front of my face. "You've been spacing out a lot recently." 

I stiffly refocused on her. 

"Would you go to the beach with me or not?" 

"Yeah," I answered grudgingly. 

"Ok, new question. If you were a Pokemon, which would you be?" 

"What kind of ridiculous question is that?" I retorted. 

"A good one! It's a popular quiz people take. Or do you want me to decide for you? I already have a guess. You can guess what I am, if you want." 

"So you already know, or you just want me to tell you what Pokemon you'd be?" I sighed. 

"I took the quiz, but I want to know your opinion." 

Well, that was easy enough to guess. Dawn would be a girly, innocent Pokemon, one that could be fierce when necessary, but was overall met with adoring fans. Not many Pokemon seemed to be cute and tough at the same time, so my list grew shorter. Clefairy? No. Jigglypuff? No. Politoed seemed optimistic, but Dawn wasn't frog-like. Lopunny wasn't right, Latias had that innocence I was looking for, but no. 

Instantly, the answer came to me. "You're a Togekiss." 

She raised an eyebrow and smiled. 

I explained further, "I'm not just saying that because you own one. The "Jubilee" Pokemon. They're free spirited, graceful, happy, avoid conflict, embrace happiness... that's you."

"Wow. You got it right." 

"And what am I?"

"A Bagon. You dream of flying, of being stronger, and that's exactly what all Bagon do. And they are the 'Rock Head' Pokemon." She grinned. 

"Wow. That was a low blow." I gave her a light smile.  

After a brief moment, she asked, "What was it like, traveling around alone?" 

I paused. "Before you came along, it was nice. I was at peace by myself, with just my Pokemon, and we held our own against the world. People didn't bother me and I didn't bother them. But then... well, I learned traveling with someone else once they learn to shut their mouth isn't half bad." 

"And if you weren't my serf would you travel by yourself?" 

"Depends who's asking to travel with me."

"I meant me." 

"Hm." I pretended to think, holding back a smile. "Would I want you with me after all the things we've been through? All the drama, the girlfriend fights, your unwelcome admirers showing up at our door and me having to turn them away like I was your personal body guard?" 

Her breath caught as she waited for my answer. 

"Dawn," I said casually, but my eyes burned into hers, "I've learned to live with the drama." 

She was so close to me- her face leaned forward as if eager to close the distance between us. For the first time, I really allowed myself to think about the action of kissing her, to feel her cheeks cupped in my hands, her mouth soft on mine. How soothing it would be for her to accept my closeness... 

"Excuse me." A very obnoxious, commanding voice brought me out of my daydream. 

I closed my eyes in irritation before looking up to see who had interrupted us this time to find none other than Dawn's possible ex-best friend. 

"Zoey?" Dawn gaped. 

"Hi, Dawn," Zoey said coolly, her hand placed on her hips. "I think it's about time we have an intervention."

Hi Guys.

I feel like someone's going to send their strongest Pokemon to attack and kill me for ending a chapter like  that since I'm probably not going to update in the next few hours. o_o I'll take that as a compliment as my writing being that good instead of worrying about being murdered on Christmas.

Anyway, I hope you did like the chapter. And yes, I realize it's short. And ends at one of those places  that makes you want to scream. I feel like the next chapter makes up for it though, so if you can use Protect and hang on till the next turn, I'm sure it'll be worth the wait. :)

If you liked the chapter, make sure you comment/vote/follow. Thanks for much for sticking with the story this far. You guys are awesome and I can't believe I've gotten so many reads and votes. :)

Pokemon Question of the Day: If you could only have one Pokemon, which Pokemon would that be and why? Wow, that's a tough question... if you can't decide do top three or something :P 

Thanks again for all the support! Since it's Winter Break right now I'll try to update as soon as possible. Have a wonderful Christmas, everyone!

-Flips