6. Ya think

Thirteen's POV

"Not another damn word." I hiss at Devin through gritted teeth.

He sticks his fist in his mouth to contain his laughter. Tears spilling out the sides of his eyes and his face has turned red.

I shove open the door to the restaurant.

Henri thought it would be a brilliant idea to toss us all out of the house and get us to go to a restaurant for dinner. He said it would give us a chance to dissolve the obvious tension while he got the guest bedrooms ready for their use.

In truth, I think he's was just getting sick of us since none of us, except me and Chase, could actually have a civilized conversation that lasted more than thirty seconds.

Especially not after I descended the stairs wearing that damn sling Henri forced on me.

Devin couldn't keep his mouth shut then, and was barely containing himself now.

"Leave her alone," Chase says right as Devin opens his mouth to make another smart ass remark.

I pull the hood of my sweater lower over my head. The boys think it's so that I can hide the bruise covering the side of the face from Garrett slamming my head down on the car...that's only half the reason.

Real reason...I have a higher chance of being recognized in this city than anywhere else in the world. Where it's by Garrett or...anyone else.

I'm not ready for the boys to know those details just yet.

I'll tell them...eventually.

"How many?" The waiter asks.

"Five," Chase replies. The waiter grabs five menus and leads us to a booth in the back.

This time I'm ahead of Devin as I shove Chase in the booth first and slide in next to him. Staying as close to the edge of the booth as possible. Chase rolls his eyes and picks up one of the menus. Jason, Devin, and Cody slide into the other side.

I pick up the menu and glance over it. None of it sounding particularly appetizing at the moment. I unconsciously pull the hood even lower as the waitress approaches.

"Hi. My name's Elaine, I'll be taking care of you guys today. Can I get you guys started off with something to drink?"

I glance up at her from under my hood as she talks, mentally profiling her. Her hair is a golden blonde and pulled up into a messy bun. Her eyes are a normal brown, her skin tanned and her face absolutely spotless. She's wearing only enough makeup to accent her looks, coupled with the truly hideous uniform all the waiters are supposed to wear.

She's just an average everyday person...so why are there warning bells going off in my head.

Something about her is unsettling. But at the moment I can't put my finger on it.

I sneak a glance at the guys, wondering if they noticed it as well. But as usual, none of them are actually paying any attention to anything other than the menu in front of them. I'm not entirely sure they even heard her.

"I'll have a water," I reply to her and wait for the boys to actually speak, but they're all still consumed in their menus. I kick Devin in the shins.

He lets out a yelp and swings his leg up, bumping his knee on the table and bringing everyone back to the present. He glares at me.

I gesture to the waitress. "Drinks?"

They all ramble off their drink orders and the waitress walks off, my eyes following her. Something wasn't sitting right with me.