22|| Annabeth

Harry lifted the invisibility cloak from his trunk, his hands shaking slightly. Annabeth fidgeted with her own hat, having given Jason Percy's.

"Well," Harry said, holding up the cloak. "We'd better get under."

Jason clasped a hand on Ron's shoulder, as Annabeth did Harry's, while putting on her hat. They draped the cloak over Harry and Ron, the four all vanishing from sight.

>>>•O•<<<

Ron raised his fist and knocked loudly, sending a terrified glance behind him at the echo. The door creaked open, revealing Hagrid. Only then did they whip off their items.

"What're you four doin' here?" He asked, lowering his crossbow. "Never mind— sit down— I'll make tea"

They shuffled in cautiously.

"Hagrid, did you hear about—" Harry started, but was cut off by Hagrid's gruff nod as he poured cups of boiling hot water (minus the tea bags, he'd forgotten.)

"Yeah, I heard, all righ'" he stopped at a loud knock on the door. They all sent terrified glances at each other before diving for the cloak and whipping on their hats.

"Here!" Annabeth pushed them all into the corner, just as the door opened.

It was Dumbledore, entering looking deadly serious, followed by a second man.

"That's the Minister of Magic, Cornelius Fudge!" Ron breathed.

"I'm sorry Hagrid, had to come. Eight attacks, that's gone far too far. Ministry's got to act." The man said promptly in a crisp, official tone.

"I never," Hagrid said desperately, looking at Dumbledore. "You know I never, Professor Dumbledore, sir."

"I want it understood that Hagrid has my full confidence," Dumbledore said, frowning at the minister.

"Look, Albus, Hagrid's record's against him," Cornelius said uncomfortably. "The school governors've been in touch—"

"Yet again, I tell you that taking Hagrid away will not help in the slightest." Dumbledore said, a fire in his eyes.

"Look at it from my point of view," Cornelius said. "I'm under a lot of pressure. Got to be seen doing something. If it turns out it wasn't Hagrid, he'll be back and no more said. But I've got to take him. Wouldn't be doing my duty—"

"Take me? Take me where? Not... Azkaban?" Hagrid croaked.

Before Cornelius could answer, there was another loud rap on the door.

The adults glanced at each other before Dumbledore opened the door. There was a gasp in the space where Harry stood— it was Big Little Octavian Lucius Malfoy.

"Already here Fudge," he said approvingly. "Good, good..."

"What're you doing here?" Hagrid asked furiously. "Get outta my house!"

"My dear man, please, believe me, I have no pleasure at all in being inside your— er— do you call this a house?" Lucius Malfoy sneered. "I simply called at the school and was told the headmaster was here."

"And what did you want with me, Lucius?" Dumbledore asked, the fire blazing in his eyes amidst his calm demeanor.

"Dreadful thing, Dumbledore, but the governors feel it's time for you to step aside. This is an Order of Suspension, you'll find all twelve signatures on it. I'm afraid we feel you're losing your touch. How many attacks have there been now? Two more this afternoon? At this rate, there'll be no more Muggleborns left at Hogwarts, and we all know what an awful loss that'll be—"