Chapter Sixteen: Kevin

Have you ever met or ever been a sheltered child? If so you know how shy they can be. How much they probably wouldn't fit in the first week of school. At recess, Rachel sat on the grass while watching the other kids play. The first day starts off horribly. She didn't know how to get to class, she kept bumping into people, the teacher had to ask her what was her name three times because her voice was so low.

As she watches the kids play with each other, she feels the deep need to burst into tears. How was she going to make it through this? They say making friends is easy, but it's not. At least not for Rachel. She is about to cry when all of a sudden a young boy approaches her. He has soft, fluffy brown hair that curls at the end. Warm brown eyes and a few freckles on his face. He has this goofy looking smile and he's missing two teeth in the front.

"Hi!" he says loud and proud. "I'm Kevin. What's your name?"

Rachel forces a strained smile. "Rachel," she says.

He sits beside her and the both of them watch the other children play for a few minutes. "Do you want to play on the monkey bars?"

Rachel nods slightly. "Sure."

The two of them go over to the monkey bars, playing and laughing when all of a sudden three girls approach them. One stands in front while the other two stand behind her. "Hey, Kevin," the girl in front says. "Why are you playing with her?"

Kevin only shrugs and keeps swinging. "Are you still coming over later, Katie?" he asks her.

She looks at Rachel and smiles. "Yes. I am," she says in a matter of fact voice. Katie sticks her tongue out at Rachel and the two girls behind her comment on how ugly Rachel's hair is.

Rachel only frowns. "I'm going to sit down," she goes to sit by a nearby bench and Kevin follows her. He sits down next to her.

"Katie's mean," he says. "But my friend says he'll make her stop being so mean. That's why I invited her over."

"Your friend?" Rachel asks.

"Yes," he replies. "Her name is Bella. She lives in my basement. She's my best friend. She has been my best friend since I was small.

Rachel doesn't know what to say. It sounds so unreal. She decides not to ask about it. She does wonder if there is a friend in all basements though.