23|| Jason

Jason gripped his gladius tight as he leveled the weapon and swiped at the monsters. Annabeth did the same, charging and killing as many spiders as she could— stomping them underfoot, ducking so they bite each other, stabbing and slashing with her knife. Jason felt the forest scratch him, but he ignored it. They had to get to safety—

"AAAAAAAAAH!"

Jason whirled around and cursed at Harry and Ron, who had tried to escape the battle but were caught by massive spiders, and were being lifted into the air. "Annabeth!" he yelled to the daughter of Athena. She locked on his gaze for a millisecond before continuing to kill the monsters.

"A little buys here!" She yelled back, though her voice sounded choked, like her throat was closing up.

"Fine! I got them!" Jason quickly ducked and stabbed under another massive one before quickly flying towards them.

"Quick, I got you! Trust me!" Jason ducked under and slashed at the spiders— they disintegrated and Harry and Ron fell through the air— Jason quickly slowed their progress with the winds and they landed on the forest floor—

CRASH!

Something bright and blue barreled through the forest, breaking the lines of the spiders. Jason dodged the mass and almost stabbed at it before realizing it was a car. The Weasley's car.

"Get in!" Jason roared at Harry and Ron. "Get away! I got Annabeth!"

Harry and Ron jumped in the dirty, scratched car, and the doors slammed shut, accelerating away. Jason fought over to where Annabeth was fighting more of the spiders— they were wading in the sickly yellow dust now— before grabbing her around the waist and shooting up into the air, above the treetops. Jason zoomed back to the castle, staying low in case anyone saw them- still supporting Annabeth, who was shaking. They set down in Hagrid's pumpkin patch—

Annabeth's knees buckled, sending her into the dirt. She rolled over, her eyes distant and horrified, reliving memories.

"Annabeth? Annabeth? C'mon, we're safe now." Jason shook her before giving up and turning to the forest, where Harry and Ron were still driving through. Hopefully.

"Arachne," Annabeth shuddered quietly on the ground before standing up, brushing off the monster dust. Jason quietly marveled at how she could recover so quickly.

"C'mon." Jason's eyes darted to the edge of the forest, where a low rumbling sound could be heard very faintly. "Harry and Ron are coming."

>>>•O•<<<

Jason awoke very suddenly, the sunlight streaming through the window. Ron was twitching in his covers before suddenly sitting upright, beads of sweat on his nose.

"Spiders," he whimpered again. Jason raised an eyebrow. Ron definitely seemed like a child of Athena. Terrified of spiders, good at chess.

Harry joined the sudden-wake up club, shooting straight up. "I just realized something" he gasped loudly. Neville, Dean, and Seamus were already downstairs, so it was just them. "What Aragog said. The girl who died—she was found in a bathroom. What if she never left the bathroom? What if she's still there?"

Jason and Ron exchanged glances before it hit him.

"You don't mean— not Moaning Myrtle?"

"Look at the facts!" Harry said scrambling to put on his robes, checking his watch. "By the way, we're almost late. But look at the facts! Who else would it be?"

"Potty Potter?" Jason suggested, half joking. The corner of Harry's mouth twitched up, but vanished quickly.

"All those times we were in that bathroom, and she was just three toilets away." Ron said bitterly. "and we could've asked, and now..."