Chapter 1

Warning: This book will contain mature content (language, sexual terms, etc.) Don't read if it isn't your thing, but if it is I hope you enjoy! :)

And no, you do not need to heave read Fifty Shades of Grey in order to understand what's going on lol. Enjoy! Ily guys so much! xoxo

__________________________

"You're acting as if we're not going to see each other for the next month!" My best friend Natalie Parker is literally squeezing the life out of me as we say goodbye to each other in her car.

"We won't see each other as often now that my baby is beginning college!" she teases, reluctantly letting go of me.

"Just because you guys at USC started a month earlier than UCLA doesn't give you the right to call me your baby." I pout as I let out a breath of air and rub my arms. Damn, that girl has a grip.

"Actually, it does because I'm still a whole year older than you." She points out, rolling up the car windows.

I groan. Talie always finds a way to bring up the fact that she's older than me. We are both freshmen in college, but I started kindergarten at five unlike most children who started at six. This means that I'm 17 and she's 18.

Today is the first day of college, for me at least. When I received my admittance letter to the University of California - Los Angeles (UCLA), I swear I died and went straight to heaven. My parents cried for what seemed like perpetual hours on end. I assured them that I would be perfectly fine at the college of my dreams - meaning no partying, no drugs, no sex, of course. Growing up, I had lived in a conservative household with very strict parents: straight A student, church every Sunday, no boyfriends allowed, valedictorian...probably sums up my life as a high school student.

Natalie and I have known each other ever since the third grade and went to the same high school in San Francisco. We knew absolutely everything about each other.

Her parents were more lenient with rules, but weren't completely easygoing either. She had boyfriends and stuff but I just wasn't that type of girl during high school. She was the "confident, I love attention" type and I was the "don't look at me, I want as little attention as possible" type of girl. But now that I'm in college, things need to and are going to change a bit for me. I'm determined.

Anyway, when picking colleges, Talie and I refused to be more than 30 minutes apart - we were that close with each other. We both got into the University of Southern California (USC) but UCLA had a better pre-med program so I decided to go there.

I begin to regret my decision now as I realize this is the first time that I haven't had my best friend at the same school as me in forever. The only reason why I actually considered going to UCLA was because our two schools were only twenty minutes apart, so communication between us wouldn't be a problem. Butterflies start to grow in the pit of my stomach, and nervousness begins to slowly overtake my body. Hopefully I have a nice enough roommate in the dorms.

"...earth to Esme! Did you hear a word of anything I just said?" Talie asks, looking at me with accusing eyes.

"Mhmmm," I respond, leaning against the passenger door of her car.

"Liar." She smirks.

"Sorry," I smile apologetically.

"Your first day will go by quickly," she promises. "There isn't really a lot of work on the first day and I'm sure you'll make a lot of friends. The teachers will take a liking to you rather quickly, but that's if you aren't late! Get out of my car Esme, your classes are starting in thirty minutes!"

I glance quickly at my watch and sure enough, she is right. I'll need some extra time to find my classes just in case I get lost. I actually made an effort to look good today, but I am still nervous. I usually don't go for a lot of makeup, but wanting to make a good appearance, I go for a more natural look. I put on pink, clear lip gloss and applied a little bit of mascara, making my dark hazel eyes look more dramatic than they usually do. I have my long black hair cascade down my back in loose waves. It looks especially pretty because it was dyed ombre as well this past summer. After checking my appearance in the mirror, I ask Talie how I look.

"You look absolutely flawless," she rolls her eyes at my question.

"What?" I ask.

"What do you mean 'what'? You know you look beautiful!"

I scoff at her statement. I honestly don't see what she sees. Even though she makes me feel a little better, I'm still as nervous as ever. I smooth out my emerald colored dress. With one final sigh, I look over to her. "Wish me luck."

"You'll do great babe, you always do!" Talie assures me. She leans over and gives me one more squeeze before urging me to leave.

I reluctantly step out of the car in my nude colored flats. When I am out of her car, she beeps her horn, signaling goodbye. Talie drives away to her own school, leaving me in the dust.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Let me know how you like it so far in the comments down below, Please don't forget to vote! :)